Chapter 38: Life, Death, and Liars

Nadia stood there with the white flowers of her remorse, just watching that young kid cry over his father's death. That boy, the definition of an angel, only victim to...

What was the young child of Philza victim to? Her victim? The prey of the ghost? Victim to grief, victim to death. Perhaps a broken child, victim to the breaking.

Excuses, all simply excuses. Excuses she gave herself knowing she had gotten away with murder. Killing a husband, a father, her teammate, and all while she was graciously comforted with the lies of how she tried to save him.

Now, Nadia would have to lie to all of Alexander's friends and family about how much she wished that he was still here today.

Going up to the small stage, a soft glance at the young blond child who stared right back at her with eyes full of nothing but sadness. Looking over the small piece of words she prepared, the mask of a girl who tried to save him secured on.

"We are gathered here today, to remember Alexander Minecraft, a loving husband and father, a loyal friend, a courageous leader. He never stopped searching for glory, no matter what injuries it cost him, Alexander was a curious mind."

A curious mind who finds out what happens when you mock the person keeping you alive. It wasn't all a lie.

"Many of you may not know me, but my name is Nadia Loft. I was a part of his guild, traveling to The End."

Nadia's throat closed as she saw all the mourning and empty faces in the small crowd. She could play it off as nervousness and grief from witnessing her leader's death instead of not being able to handle simple lies.

She had simply taken a life, saw his death, and was now lying about it all. A secret she was bound to keep to the grave.

"Alexander was brave, landing a final shot before the island shook in our victory. The ends of the island fell into the void and..."

Her eyes widened as she gripped her fist.

"I tried to pull him up, tried to save him, but I was only strong enough to hold him until he-"

The script said to say he fell, but Nadia couldn't find herself satisfied with those words.

"He let go of my hand."

A small and quiet gasp was heard as she saw his wife sob, the son just looking up with teary eyes. Just looking back and going with the flow,

"Alexander was always thinking others and knew I would never be able to pull him up, nor keep him dangling from the very void long enough for help to arrive. He knew that if I dropped him... that the blame would be on me, and I would hold this grudge against myself to my own grave."

The crowd looked at each other for a second, before all their eyes were back on Nadia. She took a deep breath, stringing along lies like knitting a scarf.

"He did not go selfishly. Alexander spent his last seconds talking about his wife, Pia, and his beloved son, young Phil. He told me that Philza... his boy... had a whole world ahead of him." Everyone nodded in agreement whilst the young boy looked around in confusion of childlike innocence.

Nadia faked a sob and the time to get her composure, standing straight up. "I told him to hold on, but he insisted that it was okay. Alexander Minecraft, he insisted it would all be okay."

"In his final seconds, he told his child to be strong before letting go."

There were nods of agreement and tears being shed, yet Nadia did not even feel her eyes water. Here she was, coming up with a sad story about her mean boss to please his wife and kids.