Chapter 68: Come Home and Rest

It all ended within a moment. George remembers it quite clearly, granted it only happened a few minutes ago. The end of Herobrine's war; rumors already flying around about Dream's victory. It was obvious to tell the exact moment of Herobrine's death. Each monster froze for a moment before collapsing to the ground and fading away from reality, just like that. His eyes darting around for his brothers, knowing that even a small amount of separation could be brutal for anybody; he's watched it firsthand with Dream and Drista.

"Bad? Sapnap?" He started shouting over the cheers of victory shared throughout the battlefield. No matter how much he tried to shout, his pleas would be drowned out by the constant celebration. "Bad! Sapnap!" He shouted once more before seeing a small crowd of people on the edge of the forest, a few of the trees ashen and knocked over.

"George!" He heard a soft voice (sounding very unused to the constant screaming over each other) in the small crowd by the forest. George started running over and seeing the iconic apparel of Bad, him and many other soldiers doing their best to lift a fallen tree trunk. His face grew downfallen as he watched their youngest brother struggle under the log, his leg looking severely damaged while his face grew paler by the second.

"Pull! Get him out!"

"One, two, three, lift!"

George figured he might as well make himself useful and help the group in lifting the heavy log; he could deal with feelings later. Exchanging looks with Bad, doing as they were told until the log was off Sapnap.

"We need a medic over here!" A gruff voice shouted, though Bad and George could hardly find the desire to listen. George didn't care who the other people were, he found it much more important to rush over to Sapnap and hold him in his arms.

Sapnap laying on the grass, sprawled out with a leg that looked on the verge of being crushed. His breathing was off paced, yet a small and mischievous grin still found its way onto his face. Bad rushed over first, lifting the other's head off the ground and doing his best to keep the younger's mind off the wound. "Hey, relax. How did you end up like this?" His voice was always calm and sweet, something they all admired.

"Some kid-" Sapnap's words slurred ever so slightly, waving his hand to gesture how easy-going in his mind everything seemed to be. "Just ran here. Next thing... a tree fell on me. Must've been a Wither or something-" words were quiet and pained; no matter how much Sapnap tried to hide it, his brothers could see right through him. "I hope the kid is fine."

"Sapnap, how badly would you say it hurts?" The words managed to make their way out of George's mouth, they might as well get some information about how he feels before the medic arrives. "On a scale of one to ten, one being painless."

Sapnap seemed to think a little bit, George noticing how his weight seemed to rely more on Bad. "Uh- eight? I don't know, I don't like questions like that," he sighed, vision visibly growing unfocused. "Oh... it's bleeding. I guess it's not good."

George knew exactly why Sapnap did not like questions to rank pain on a scale of 1-10, none of them did. The reason being no matter what number they said, there would always be thousands of people going through pain much worse. None of them ever answered a ten and high numbers such as an eight or a nine meant it really must be borderline agonizing.

"Go find Dream," Sapnap mumbled, Bad helping him sit up as medics arrived. "We promised him-" and for once, George did not see Sapnap as the adult he was, but as the young child who would beg for stories at night, back at the orphanage. Timid, yet a smile brighter than many stars in the night sky. The person he had met over a decade ago had changed drastically but returned to simply beg him to keep a small promise.