Chapter 39: Simply Comfort

Two weeks.

Two whole weeks since the rescue took place, and not much has changed.

It was officially springtime, and the frigid weather was being replaced by a comfortable coolness in the breeze that blew over Minilus. Drista had since recovered from anything completely and was half-forcingly attending school once more. Niki had spent all that time in the clinic, recovering slowly.

All that time thinking that Puffy would one day come to visit her.

Sitting up straight and looking around, watching as Wilbur fussed over her. "You 100% sure you are ready to go? I don't want to rush you back or anything-" he sighed as doctors went through clearances and the gist of care at home. An infected wound to the torso is no small deal, yet recovery seemed to fly by like time was nonexistent.

"Don't worry, it will be fine. Besides, Puffy is waiting for me!" Niki replied, watching the other's face fall. "Well, I hope she is. Did she move away?" She asked softly, yet there was no response from the male who watched over her. Just a small sigh and him moving on.

As if time would fold in on itself, like a paper. Time speeding up as she moved around the village back to her home, unaware of the whispers that followed her or the conversations of the people around her. Seeing that small porch in front of her house, the patches where roses would grow in the late spring, and the single wilting dandelion in the front.

Wilbur just carried her into the bedroom to lay down, when Niki noticed a small envelope, sealed on the bed. Extending her hand out and opening it delicately, watching as Will left her in the room alone. The pot by her bedside, wilting dandelions. 'Those are Puffy's flowers,' Niki thought to herself.

Feeling the soft paper against her delicate skin, going through the words that were handwritten in the past.

Hi Niki!

If you are reading this letter, then I am so sorry I did not get to visit you in the clinic. I can tell you for sure that I know I would have wanted to. Things must have come up where I couldn't.

Niki just smiled at how her best friend seemed to care so much about her, despite not seeing her since the kidnapping. Sighing and going through the letter of the dandelion who once watched over her.

It was hard... when you disappeared. I should have been there to protect you, protect my rose, right? My mind wandered beyond my control, and I wanted to save you so badly. You know I love you with all my heart, with all my life, with all my blood, it pained me to know that you were suffering.

You may not recall, perhaps you do, and this letter is pointless but... I am on that rescue mission to save you later. I insisted on going, despite the traitors and danger in our midst. I speak in future tense since... I wrote this before we saved you.

Niki just stared at the paper questionably. A letter written before the rescue seemed out of place. Vision traveling along the page as rain began to softly patter against the rooftop.

I truly hope you are not upset with me but the rescue mission... it's going to be the odds against us. So much so that it might end up being someone else who reads the letter. The odds of getting out uninjured were astronomically low. So... I proposed a plan to Dream and Techno and if you are reading this letter, it most likely has succeeded. Either that or I'm just unable to access this now. Heh-

Something felt wrong to Niki, something very wrong. The soft rainfall turned quickly into a rough downpour, not assisting in her nerves. Not one bit, not at all.