Chapter 27: Taken

Every day, it seemed that no help was coming, despite the untrustworthy promise of help on the way. All Drista could do was to support the people around her and hope that everything would ease with time.

Rushing around and providing aid to any patients who would be rushed in with critical injuries. She tried her best to help, but she was only 14, a child. She would never forget the eyes of terror in two pairs of eyes, rushing their small child who was already beyond saving.

She will never forget the moment she saw Dream's eyes either. When the bracelets connected and neither of them dared to disconnect them.

"Iris, dear!" Dr. Alloy called, looking at her daughter, a feeling of slight uneasiness. "Your friends wanted to ask if you would like to go with them to the park, interested?" She smiled, watching the other shaking her head.

"Dear, you know you can't help much here, just go out and take a small break. I know you didn't sleep too well either-" Dr. Alloy sighed and took the notes away from her. "They will be disappointed if you decline!"

Drista looked up, bringing a strand of her hair behind her right ear. Everyone did encourage her to get some fresh air, a break from the constant death in the clinic. "I guess-" she sighed, taking off the white coat that most people had in the clinic.

Neither knew this, but both had this small but uncomfortable feeling.

"Bye Iris!"

"Bye mom, love you!" Drista smiled and headed out of the clinic. Shoving her hands into the warm pockets of her hoodie, looking, and seeing the park where a few people she recognized stood around, laughing, and playing happily.

The tall blonde male, laughing boisterously at the much shorter brunette. Then there was a girl with them, looking like the shorter male, a bun in her hair.

"Hi Iris!" Lani smiled and hugged each other; the height difference quite evident. "Tommy wanted you to join us, so Tubbo went to the clinic and asked," she laughed a bit as Iris watched the others.

Friends she made in such the oddest ways. Tommy and Tubbo were much older than her, they just happened to come up in a day during break and here they were. Lani was Tubbo's younger sister and here they were. All friends. She ended up telling the three about her bracelet and Dream, each supporting greatly.

"Drista, big man, er- big woman, can I call you that?"

"Drista? Sure. Big woman? Absolutely not."

Running around, saying nonsense and laughing until they couldn't breathe. Joking around like the people they were.

"Hey guys!" Tubbo smiled, laying down on the grass. "If I punch myself and it hurts, am I weak or am I strong?" he giggled.

"Weak," Tommy smirked, sitting on the ground.

"Nope. Definitely strong," Drista smiled, sitting beside Tommy and Tubbo.

Lani shook her head and walked over. "No, you'd be an idiot," she spoke, getting laughter from the other three. This is living life in bliss.

They hung around for a bit more before Drista watched the sun about to set. Eyes of concern before she got up, brushing off some of the grass on her clothing. "I should probably head back," she sighed and waved, heading to make her way back.

"I lost track of time," she mumbled to herself, looking at all her options. The forest was surely a shortcut back, she wouldn't have to take any odd turns that the paths had. If she was quick, she wouldn't encounter any mobs.

Running through, jumping over fallen logs. She was almost there until in the corner of her eye, she could see a few spiders. Even worse, she had no weapon to defend herself, and there was no way she could outrun them.

Panicking and trying to tear a branch of the tree in hopes it was sharp enough to use, watching them get closer until all was quiet. A figure with a dark cloak, features unrecognizable nor identifiable. Except for the eyes.

Her eyes widened at the haunting white eyes that stared at her. "We wouldn't want you to be killed by mobs, now, would we?" The voice was monotone and there was no time for her screams to be let out.

~

Tommy sat up in his bed, looking out to see the dark night sky. It was late at night, but he couldn't sleep. There was this nagging feeling in the back of his mind and his parents would surely be cross if they found out he snuck out, but this was more important.

Opening his bedroom window and sneaking out quietly, climbing onto the tree by his window and climbing down, heading to the house beside him and knocking a few times on the window.

"Tommy? It's too early for this-" Tubbo opened the window and mumbled sleepily. "Where are we going this time?"

"Drista's house, get changed," he scolded, standing beside the window and helping Tubbo sneak out as well. The roads were quiet, and they were much less talkative.

Heading to Drista's house, peeking through the window of her bedroom but it was empty. Practically untouched for that matter. "Must be at the clinic working again," he sighed and changed his direction.

Walking through the paths, shivering slightly at the cold and walking in. Busy as ever and he could see Dr. Alloy in the front organizing any of the paperwork and information. "Hello Dr. Alloy," Tommy smiled a bit, eyes that were slightly concerned looked back at him.

"Hello dear, isn't Iris with you?" Her voice was quiet and shook ever so slightly.

"Um... she said she was making her way back. I thought she was here-" he mumbled a bit, eyes widening at the sudden prospect. Looking at Tubbo, hoping they connected the dots.

"Drista was taken..."

"Now is not the time for jokes, Tubbo!" Tommy snapped but lowered his voice as soon as it was brought up. "She could be dead, or kidnapped, or both!"

"You boys need to calm down, are we sure we looked in every possible place before thinking she's been kidnapped?" Everyone could tell but as the adult tried to be sensible and logical, her voice trembled in fear. This was the daughter she had raised since the earliest of Drista's years and the possibility that she could be gone?

"We haven't checked Dream's house-" Tubbo mentioned softly.

"But Dream is still venturing the border! He won't even be back until well- tomorrow!" Tommy mentioned. It could be possible she was still at the house, maybe seeing George but she wouldn't just disappear like that.

Running out of the clinic, heading straight to the Loft household, ignoring the cold and the protests which chased after him. Knocking on the door until he got an answer. The door slowly opened and stood George with those light blue pajamas.

"Tommy?" he asked, looking at the kid. "It's so late, what are you doing here?"

"George, there is no time to explain. Is Drista here?" his words were sped up, eyes searching around frantically.

"Oh, Iris. Yeah, she hasn't been here since Dream left. You okay Tommy?" George asked, looking at Tommy, all the features of pure fear. As if a million thoughts raced through his mind.

'She was just with us? There is the mob increase, she could have been devoured by spiders. No, she's strong, what if she got lost? But Iris doesn't get lost, is she even alive?'

"Tommy! Relax, I'm sure she's fine. I'll keep an eye out for her, alright?" George smiled and reassured the taller male before closing the door. It was so dark and freezing. If she was left out in the cold, surely, she would have gotten sick, or worse.

The air felt freezing against his skin, turning around and seeing the other half of the little duo he was happy to call himself a part of. "Tommy, it's too cold outside. Let's head on in, a good night's sleep will do good," Tubbo mentioned, standing in front of the blonde.

Tommy simply nodded and headed back to their row of houses. Climbing up the tree and heading back to his bedroom, yet he could only stare wide awake at the ceiling.

"I'll find you, just please, be alive when we do."

Another head hangs lowly, child is slowly taken.