Chapter 32: Violence

Tick tock.

Tick tock.

No, there was not a clock in the room. That would measure her time of being trapped, and that's the last thing that they wanted her to understand. Given just barely enough food to stay alive, anyone would be able to see how they started to turn into skin and bones. Just the constant mind of silence other than the tiniest of small talk which they could manage.

Only one thing to remind them of the time. Every day at 12:00 PM, they would be brought food. Opening her eyes blurrily and watching the few bowls of flavorless broth, a small bottle of water for each of them. Drista looked up as she saw Niki standing by the door, eyes widening.

"The door didn't close all the way, we can get out," Niki whispered quietly, creaking the door open and peeking out. A few hallways, dark and rustic. Walls a dark gray and the floor was a mix of a slight reflective tile. Faintly, the stains of dried blood stuck to the floor. "I'm getting out of here."

Drista got up and looked at the other, about to follow when she saw this silhouette of a man with glowing white eyes sneaking a few peeks at Niki, but not saying a word. Seeing a sly smirk form on his face, about to warn her of the trap when she experienced the electrifying pain, crumpling to the ground for a bit before hearing a high-pitched scream of terror.

The door was still left open. Shaking away any leftover pain and running to the sight where the same man stood, an empty crossbow in hand. Looking down and seeing that once bright pink hair stained with blood. Niki laying on the ground, right hand covering the great wound in her torso, face stained with tears of agony.

"Niki!" She rushed over and brushed any stray hair out of Niki's face. Calming down the other as best as she could, praying that no critical wounds were hit. Glaring at the man which stood before them. "How could you do this? Why are you doing this!?" She yelled before immediately turning her attention back to the wound. 'Bleeding out, I can get makeshift bandages out of the bottom of my shirt, just pray it doesn't get infected,' thoughts racing through her mind.

"We had a deal. No escaping, I just wanted to see who would try to escape first."

"You monster! I know your goal, you said you weren't going to kill us yet?" Her voice broke when that final word came out. Yet... they said they would not be killed yet.

Meaning, the time to be killed would soon arrive. She glared but knew resisting would only put anyone in more danger than all the pain they experienced. Now sitting in the small room, Drista taking off her hoodie and using it as a pillow to rest Niki's head.

All that practice in the clinic. But that was with every tool she could ever desire. Here, all she had was her clothes, water that they had no idea what the contents were, and her own will. "Niki, please stay awake for a little longer, then I can let you sleep," she whispered softly, using part of her water bottle and pouring it on the wound slowly, hearing the other wince in pain. "Just a little longer, okay?"

Drista sighed, tearing the bottom of her T-shirt to little strips that she could use as bandages. Finishing up and checking the heart beating and Niki's chest moving up and down ever so slowly.

The day that heart stopped would be the day they killed her.

"There, all done. Get some rest now, we'll get out of here. I promise." Drista simply wiped off whatever blood was left on the walls, leaving a smear of red on the walls. Looking at the other, noticing the struggle to keep her eyes open.

"We... aren't both making it-"

"Yes, we are! Just stay alive. Someone will come to save us, and then we can get you proper help." Drista attempted to reassure Niki, but she knew the realities of the situation. Taken without a trace and nowhere near the village in theory. Niki would bleed out and then they would kill Drista. Biting her lip to prevent any sobs from escaping her as she watched those eyes close. 'Please just stay alive, as long as you can.'