Chapter 12: An Ironic Hero

"GEORGE!?" Sapnap yelled, somewhat in question as the other's legs gave way, Sap making sure he didn't hit his head. He was unconscious. The wound shouldn't have gotten worse, it was clean and closed off rather quickly.

Dream looked up at the throne to make sure they were okay before his eyes wandered to the wall where a dark liquid dripped from the arrowhead. That's when he realized it.

"The arrows were dripped," he spoke out loud, catching the attention of everyone in the room. The potion must have entered his bloodstream when he got shot. There wasn't much time to deal with the mysterious ghost in the room, they had to figure out what was on the arrows quickly. Whether it would kill him or only cause inconvenience.

The ghost seemed to walk towards them, a slight smug smirk you could see on his face. For once, there were more than just glowing white eyes. His clothes were ragged and torn, a blue shirt with violet pants, each sporting a decent number of holes. The sword seemed to glow brighter with every step the man took.

The man crossed his arms, standing towards the others grimacing. As if he enjoyed their suffering. "He'll be fine, just delayed weakness and it didn't even hit in a major vein or anything. You guys worry too much. Then again... that's to be expected." His tone was laced with malicious intent, yet words could not describe what was going on.

"What do you mean... expected?" Bad spoke, somewhat timidly, trying to keep George awake and semi-aware. His head was tilted in confusion at the statement while the others nodded in agreement. "And who are you?"

The man only walked away a few steps, deciding not to answer many questions the others threw at him part from his name. "Hero... eh Herobrine close enough." If he had pupils, you could feel his eyes rolling before he returned to face the others. "And Dream? I'm the one who started the fire."

With that statement, chaos was sure to ensue. Sapnap and Bad stood there slightly dumbfounded whilst Dream knew exactly what the man meant. He knew the message was exactly meant for him and only someone with proper intent would know exactly where words hit hardest. The logical part of him seemed dormant, he did not doubt the ghost's words for a second.

Tears welled up in his eyes and without thinking, Dream charged forward. Trying to punch or beat the ghost responsible for one of the worst moments in his life only to notice his attacks only passed through. Continuing to fight and hating it every second Hero stood there, immune to anything Dream could attempt.

It almost seemed as if he was back, back at the place he once called home, watching it burn. The fire of hues sunset and scarlet. Imagining the cries and screams of the innocent who lived inside. Why he had decided Dream was worth keeping alive to suffer the pain and misery.

Yelling curses, insults, whatever he could and not noticing the arrow Hero had in hand. The shouts from the others to be cautious were muffled as the arrow was stabbed into the arm and the world seemed to spin. Everything suddenly felt weak and numb. The shouts and cries were weakened into nothing but mumbles of insult.

"Dream!" Bad shouted before running over to support Dream, the dirty blonde trying to stand and failing, keeping his eyes open. Dream dizzily waved his hand, smiling weakly.

"Stop... don't worry 'bout... it." His voice went from loud anger and rage to a soft tone of weakness and timidness. Glaring daggers at the ghost, the world continues to turn and turn around him. "What're you..."

Hero didn't even let him finish his sentence before continuing to speak a monologue without emotion. "Oh, see he's a fighter. Seems like it runs in the family!" He smiled before playing around with the arrows in his hand, dripping with weakness.

Truth be told, if the four asked why he was doing this. Why he is putting two of their brothers to sleep, why he killed Dream's parents, why he forced countless people to work for him before killing them, he would smile and say, "To be free." Yet, that was all he would say. He would not reveal many more details about his reasoning.

"I've watched you all for a while now..."

"What?" Bad turned his head and looked at the ghost in his eyes, feeling the intimidation and turning away. Looking down at someone he considered his little brother, finding his head falling limp.

Hero only 'tsked his tongue and walked around, seemingly grabbing an old and used bow, taking out the arrows that stood along the wall. "Nadia... she was rather sweet. Responsible for the loss of life just like me."

"Don't you dare speak of her like that! You're lying!" Sapnap yelled, carrying George beside him. Reality would soon set in; the dream team was cornered with half of their group unconscious. He was spreading lies... they were lies, right?

"Am I? I could've lied about the fire, yet your little green boy was provoked." Hero smiled, loading the arrow with two bones of weakness, watching as they fired and landed into the flesh of the rest of the group.

Smiling sadistically as he watched each person crumple to the ground, one by one. As if they were leaves falling from their branches due to the changing of the seasons. That would make him the cold, only getting back what he rightfully earned. Others would call him a cliché villain, causing suffering because he could.

Yet his mindset was not like those of fairy tales. If they had so much to gain, they would have done the same thing. Hero, he was just the only one willing to take the risks to get back what was rightfully theirs.

"But why would I lie? That's not like me."