Chapter 49: Cost of a Dream

"Well?"

It's been fourteen hours since they returned, and Wilbur was right. The way the doctors rushed Tommy into critical care the second they saw him helped in saving him. "He's still asleep," Wilbur responded when Dream walked up to him in the small section outside the unit where they kept Tommy in. "Doctors are letting me stay with him unless they are adding more potions and all that, you know how it is-"

"Wilbur-"

"Yeah?"

Dream sighed, leaning against the wall next to Wilbur. "You've been awake for how long again?" Wilbur looked tired, exhausted for that matter. Dream had gone to sleep the night as best as he could after they returned in the night but here Wilbur was, who was still there and looked like he'd been there for a while.

"Depends- awake since Tommy got here or awake since like the last time I slept?" Wilbur smiled a bit, Dream just shaking his head. "Oh- you're serious? I'd say at least a day, but I do tend to lose track of time when I literally cannot see the sun." He gestured to the fact that the whole bunker was underground, getting a small yet obviously fake laugh out of the other.

"You care about him, like he's your brother or something-" Dream spoke and saw Wilbur look away.

"Do not say that. I will start crying," Wilbur glared jokingly, cracking a smile out of Dream. Though he hated to admit it, they did have a brotherly bond. Wilbur had known Tommy since the other was quite young. Growing up as friends, even having Niki take care of Tommy when he could not.

After all, Wilbur once had someone like that for him.

~

Wilbur did not have many memories of his parents. His father had supposedly left for Caiya when he was young. His mother, who had tried to pick up the pieces while selling illegal potions, had been arrested when he was nine. By law, he was considered an orphan, but one would never catch the young boy using what he saw as such a dirty term.

An orphan. A disgusting rat that was either unwanted... rejected by his own blood or born with such miserable luck. Wilbur was neither of those; his mother had loved him! His mother had raised him well and his aunt was clearly still alive and welcoming him with open arms. He had a certain distaste for his aunt, but he would much rather live with his cousin and her than in a filthy place of pity.

"I'm not an orphan, I have a family," the young boy mumbled to himself, holding the small bag he remembered his mom keeping some of the potions he'd keep. A small bit of clothes and an oversized beanie that belonged to his mother. He stood at the door with his escort. 'An escort? I don't need an escort, I'm old enough-' he mumbled, seeing the door open to reveal his older cousin.

"Hello, mate-" the male smiled, and Wilbur could only feel his mood soften as he rushed over to hug the other, seeing as they were around the same height despite Wilbur being three years younger. If anything, Wilbur was probably taller.

"Can you believe this?" The young boy crossed his arms, feeling the soft touch on his head. "They are calling me all these names, taking me away from my mom, and she didn't do anything wrong. You must believe me, Grian. She didn't do anything wrong; I swear!"

Grian looked up at the escort who just handed him a paper before leaving. Closing the wooden door, a small smile creeping on his face. "I bet she was doing nothing wrong. One day, we'll get her out," he laid a hand on Wilbur's shoulder, Wilbur walking through the familiar hallways. "Though for the time being, I suggest I let Mum know you have arrived."

"I'm not calling her Mum."

Grian chuckled lightly and extended his hand out which Wilbur accepted in an instant. "I know, Wil."