Chapter 40: A New Start

Dream stood there, brushing back his hair as he looked at the mirror in front of him. A black dress suit, one he hadn't put on since... well he would rather forget about the last time he wore it and hoped he would not have to wear it again. Sighing a bit, holding the mask in his hands. To take it off would be a sign of respect to the fallen, but the mask was his everything. 'Perhaps a decision meant for later,' he thought to himself.

"You ready?" George asked, wearing the dark clothes himself. They all were going to this... memorial. Respect the fallen, mourn the death, and finally get to move on. Dream could not help but wonder if he had contributed to the death of Puffy, whether she desired it or not.

'No- she didn't want to die. She just wanted to protect others and that happened in the process.'

"Dream?" George looked at the other, Dream shaking his head away from everything. Looking up and seeing Sapnap and Bad, also ready to go. "You ready? It's about to start-" The sadness in Bad's eyes, knowing all too well he was the closest with Puffy out of the four of them. Dream nodded, seeing how cloudy the day was.

Memorial would be held in the town square, two of the younger princes would be in attendance, Techno and Ranboo. Walking slowly, seeing Drista and Dr. Alloy meet up. One by one, they all arrived and looked around, the day drab in the mourning. "Wilbur," Dream looked up, seeing the male walk over, hat absent from his head.

"Dream, how are you doing?" Wilbur asked, the other giving half a smile as the others went around to comfort one another.

"I'm decent... as much as you can be in these circumstances. How is Niki holding up?" A part of Dream knew that it was rude to not ask him how he was, but he knew the answer would be the same as the one he himself gave.

"Well, it's progress. She's going to be speaking today so I can say it's an improvement, though I know that deep down, she's taking it the hardest. Funeral did not help much but I know that no matter how painful it was, Niki needed that." The funeral was held one week prior, much smaller than this memorial. Dream had personally gone himself with Bad, everyone on the mission and... not many others. The dandelion of the village always seemed so distant and now she was gone.

"Right, how about you and Tommy?"

"As best as you can be when you watched someone die."

Dream nodded, fixing his mask as people sat down in their rows, George to his left and Bad to his right, Sapnap sitting next to Bad. It seemed so off. He knew everybody here today and how full of life they usually were. How bright the smiles were, how loud the laughs would ring throughout the area if the circumstances were different.

His eyes looked to where Niki was sitting, bandages over her body, tiredness in her eyes. An emptiness to her soul, though he could completely understand why. Dream watched as a few people spoke, mask kept upright. They never requested him to remove it, so on it shall stay. One by one, until he watched a woman, broken and scarred, stand in front of everyone, despite all the injuries and pain Dream could tell she was in.

Like a flower which stood in rough weather, but still standing. A rose still standing through the harsh rain but standing strong.

"Hello everyone," her voice was shaky, but Dream watched as she stood straight, Wilbur stood right beside her. "I... I appreciate you all for being here today. We are all gathered here today to remember the death of... one of our fellow friends, a sister, a caretaker, and a savior."

Everyone nodded and Dream watched as a broken smile made its way onto Niki's face. "I found Puffy by the river when I was young... her hair was soaking wet and looking completely different from its usual fluffy self. Many knew her as Puffy Cloud but me? I knew her as my dandelion."