Chapter 59: Late Nights and Ghostly Frights

"Alright, hopefully you all got plenty of sleep-" Techno sighed, looking at the book. Dream knows that Techno had forced Ranboo to get much needed sleep and was going to try to do the first night on his own. "How did the first day go?"

"Zayne only took over four times at two-hour intervals, only for about 10 minutes-" George mentioned, sitting beside Dream, the pendant glowing but Dream's eyes their normal color. Since their first meeting, they had all agreed that George could document episodes while Dream could focus on simply holding onto the connection for as long as possible. "So far, Zayne was calm in the environment, although extremely defensive of property."

"Does Bad or Sapnap know about it?"

"So far, it seems to be a secret-" George mumbled, watching as Dream zoned out while fidgeting with the pendant, eyes flickering from green to white. "He has this... middle ground state- neither have full control but it's an unstable connection. Any second and someone could be there-"

"He's getting better at holding me," Dream looked up at Techno grew a bittersweet smile, knowing it was Zayne. "This body, it's young... but it works. We could do this!" He grinned, rocking back and forth. "Ooh, and less blood!"

"Less?" George looked over in concern, he didn't remember seeing any blood. The worst side effects were tiredness and headaches, nothing that he couldn't play off as simply a bad night of sleep. Deep down, his heart was beating in horror at the pain his brother could be hiding.

The eyes flickered slightly, and Dream's posture changed slightly. "Sorry... did I say blood? It was just in my mind, I meant less rough..." he tapped the ground in boredom. "I've been thinking about it, I'm not as aware as I would like to be-"

"Aware?" Techno asked, jotting down notes every few seconds.

"Dream's soul is too diluted for me to do anything. Herobrine has already possessed him, I can't do anything too extreme, or he'll lose himself," he sighed, continuing to fidget with anything his hands could fit into. The straps of the mask, the hem of his clothing, anything. "Or as you know it... the white eyes that come from too much possession."

"Any suggestions? George?" Techno turned to look at George whose breathing seemed to shudder and scatter unevenly.

"I asked Dream about what it was like to be possessed, he said he was underwater. Underwater and he had to swim against a current to reach for a thread. A silver thread covered in blood-" George mentioned, watching as Dream sat up straight, white eyes seemingly more vivid.

"That's my limbo! Each person has a different limbo, mine is underwater," He got up and raced to the window to gaze at the dark sky. "The thread I assume shows why we are there. Mine is covered in blood since... well-" his voice stopped as he pressed his face against the glass of the window.

"You killed Herobrine," George interrupted.

"Yeah," Dream laughed a bit, a small smile on his face. "Pretty much-" he grinned. George had to continue to convince himself that the person in the room was not Dream, he was a psychotic ghost. "Most ghosts have their object covered in blood, though there are some other ones. Ones that I don't know-"

"Can I suggest something?" Techno asked, noticing how fidgety Zayne (or Dream) seemed to be. "There was a moment last night when Dream seemed completely in control, yet he had the abilities you gave him. We want to reach something like that-"

"I could definitely attempt something-" Zayne thought about it for a moment, twirling the longer strands of hair with his fingers. "Um... Dream, can you hear me? I know there's a thread and I know you want to reach it but listen... let yourself get pulled back. Swim the other way-"