Chapter 66: The Final Sunset

He breathed in and out slowly, for Nadia always said that in times of panic, steady breathing would always help him. Soldiers and medics alike surrounded him along with a few of his friends standing beside him.

"Dream, XD, are you guys ready?"

Dream's eyes were glowing white from behind the mask he kept on tightly, but he could fully control every movement Zayne tried to fight. Technoblade and Grian were right, he was in control. He was mostly in control. "I think so," he smiled a bit, adjusting the armor that others had so generously equipped him with. "You don't have to do this."

Bad shook his head, standing beside both George and Sapnap. "Nonsense, we made a promise to help," he reassured Dream, George nodding in agreement.

"Besides, why would we turn down a fight for some classic payback?" Sapnap snickered, all his injuries fully healed and his hair out of his face. "Herobrine tried to separate us, but he forgot that we are family, and we stick up for each other."

Dream smiled a bit, ruffling the other's hair who softly retaliated at the touch. "Sure... but you all have to promise not to do anything too stupid out there-" he glanced over to where Dr. Alloy stood with other medics on standby. "The second any of you get even slightly hurt, I need you out of the field and in somebody's care." With those words, he gave a soft glare at Sapnap who simply whistled awkwardly in response.

"What Sapnap is trying to say is that we will be careful," George mentioned, smiling a bit at the younger sibling's antics. He rubbed his eyes ever so slightly, something that Dream took notice of. "We ask the same of you though, this isn't a suicide mission so don't make it one."

Dream nodded, fixating on the final pieces of technology the hermits had developed for him as the large gates opened, each person knowing where they would be stationed until the fighting would begin at sundown. He was sure that the others would be together while he would be standing somewhere else in the city, Techno and Wilbur being the closest people near him.

Dream was behind a bush, eyeing the sun which every so subtly started to dip. His breathing even and slow, glancing towards Techno and Wilbur. 'You got this,' he could see Wilbur mouth the words as the entire terrain was filled with silence followed by a small and informal salute. 'See you on the other side.'

Dream nodded and returned the favor, feeling the ground start to shake. The intense feeling of a rumbling sense sent through his body, the sky being painted in colors of red and orange... the colors of fire and violence. Mobs spawned out of seemingly nowhere, the same way they did before as troops upon troops marched forward and started slashing each zombie right through their overly dead heart.

Yet this time, Dream was not afraid. The world seemed to slow as he simply watched the behaviors of the monsters. Zombies were usually nothing more than an inconvenience, only considered fatal for infants and the elderly, for even a small child could run away. Yet these were different, looked much more skilled in combat, being able to properly use weapons, far more than an inconvenience now.

"Dream! Don't just stand there, go find Herobrine!" Wilbur shouted, firing an arrow into the head of the new zombies, Dream nodding and starting to run wherever his instinct carried him.

His instincts told him to head home, run to the remains of his house. He recalls the place hadn't been badly damaged in the attack, due to being on the outskirts of the village yet it was a good place to start.

Dream was swarmed with memories of his childhood, the distorted control he had with XD causing the once vivid memories that burned in his mind to appear slightly blurry but still as clear as day. He recalls the first time he stepped into the house, looking around as if he were in a palace. He turned towards the door, which was relatively damaged, remembering the moment Techno had practically saved him from the monsters in the forest. A moment where he considered the uselessness of himself was better off gone than endangering the ones he loved.