Chapter 33: Dandelion

It was once a much brighter time.

The bridge between spring and summer when flowers would be in their full bloom. When butterflies fly around, birds swim in the lake, and little children play in the sunlight.

That girl, hardly an adult (if 16 was even to be considered one), did not find much purpose in life. Emptiness with only her thoughts as company. Not that she was an orphan, she could take care of herself simply fine. Sitting by the riverbank, imagining the false reality in her own mind.

"Maybe I could just go for a little swim," she mumbled soullessly, not flinching at the sudden cold. Water soaked her clothing as she continued to walk, not caring much as the current continued to pull her.

Feeling some of the fish swimming around her, never aware of her surroundings. School was finished... good enough. Everything was enough to be okay.

But that was the problem.

Continuing to walk until she felt the water occasionally slip into her mouth and nose. Opening her eyes and not being bothered by the residue that entered with the brackish water. Watching as her once fluffy white hair went straight, eyes blurry until she felt her arm being tugged.

Her own reality was off, as if she was a dandelion seed blowing away while she was dragged out of the water. Blowing to the side of the riverbank and faintly seeing a girl with bright eyes and blonde hair. "Miss... are you alright?" She asked but didn't get much of a verbal response. "I... I like your hair!"

That brought a slight smile to them both. "I... thanks. I'm Puffy," she spoke a bit, pulling out the leaves that stuck to the strands of hair.

"I'm Niki! I think I've seen you around..." the blonde smiled before her eyes lit up. "Oh my god, you're the dandelion girl!" Niki grinned, getting an odd look.

"Dandelion? Aren't those the weeds that people hate because they get everywhere?" Puffy looked at the other, voice almost monotone. Usually, an insult to be called a weed.

Niki only laughed a bit before looking at Puffy. "No, let me explain. I was taking care of one of my friend's friends? Long story but anyways, he always points out how you usually have white hair that looks all fluffy and calls you, dandelion."

Puffy smiled a bit, twisting her hair to get some of the water out. The way Niki spoke, the way she smiled and talked so casually, was a nice change of pace. "How old is the boy?" she asked.

"Oh... ten, I think. His name is Tommy, mischievous little one," Niki giggled a bit, smiling wide when she heard laughing from across her. "Now, aren't you cold? We can head to my house! I have some bread cooling off and it'll be great!" Puffy nodded, standing up and looking at that girl.

She could tell that someone, somewhere in this world, someone was quite angry with her. Puffy could wonder and wonder why someone would be upset with such a kind soul as she munched on the bread. Maybe one day, she would be old enough to understand how somebody could be cross.

For it was true. Someone, somewhere in the world, was furious and puzzled by that girl. For the ghost that watched the beam of sunlight and the dandelion, glared at the two. For that day, was the day that Puffy Cloud was supposed to break.

Like a weed so to speak. Most people get bothered by the weeds that take over their gardens, no matter how pretty they may be. However, others enjoy them based on their looks. Others let them be or have some of their own. Dandelions are still plants, and they still need sunlight.

Tommy was quite thrilled when his babysitter brought home a walking dandelion who had the name of "Puffy Cloud." All too fitting, it seems.

Shaking her head and looking at the empty bed beside her, a cup of wilting dandelions on the bedside. "Niki, please hold on," Puffy whispered to herself silently. The parents of Niki who had been dead for far too long. The young boy who was already very much a teenager and no longer needed supervision from the neighbor. Niki's friend who she has crossed paths with occasionally. Watching as the girl encouraged her to go back to school, meeting a boy who constantly wore a mask who she occasionally made sure he didn't get into too many fights.

Time just seemed to slip away.

The girl who saved her. All those memories when the girl took the dandelion home. Made sure she grew, gave her plenty of sunlight, water, and food. All those memories of using the pink roses to make Niki's hair pink. A dandelion and a rose, together.

"Hold still!" Puffy smirked, brushing through Niki's hair. "It's almost done."

Niki rolled her eyes and grabbed the spare mirror which lay on the vanity. "I was about to say I regret asking you to do my hair but wow, this looks amazing!" She grinned before laying the mirror down.

Puffy smiled and ran her fingers through the now rose-pink hair one more time before putting her hands on her hips in satisfaction. "There, now we're like a rose and a dandelion. Also, why'd it have to be a dandelion? Why couldn't it be like, a daisy or something?" Puffy asked before yelling in surprise as the other got up, hugging her before dancing around the room.

Dancing without any music, typical for a beautiful, perfect rose. Unlike her flawed self. An imperfect dandelion... an imperfect dandelion who adored the most beautiful rose. Practically sisters, planted next to each other in the garden.

An odd comparison, since weeds usually harm plants.

"Well, it's because daisies wilt, and that's all sad. Dandelions have seeds which spread around the world. Where the end... isn't really the end but a new beginning!" Niki smiled, holding onto Puffy's hand and dancing around some more.

Puffy only smiled and joined along in the bliss of being naïve.

That knowledge haunted her... was she broken? Thinking back to those memories by the riverbank. 'Of course, I am,' Puffy sighed, seeing the sunrise poke out of the windows ever so slightly.

A weed who brought danger to the rose which grew beside them. Sounds about right. Getting out of bed and filling her pack with all the necessities and then some. "Niki, I promise I'll bring you home, no matter the cost," she wiped the stray tear, dropping off an envelope on Niki's bed before heading out the door.

Her boots went across the path with a purpose. Meeting up at the town square where Dream and Techno already stood by the wagon. "You're here early," Dream mentioned, fastening the reigns to the horses.

"Yeah, flowers rise with the sun, you know?"

Dream smiled a bit as Techno gave a reassuring nod of acknowledgement. "Well, you said you had something to tell us. We don't have all day," Technoblade sighed, and both listened intently as Puffy explained a plan she had come up with.

A plan that neither agreed with. "You can't be serious? That's dangerous!" Dream stared at the other in disbelief. "I already factored in the fact that Eret is a traitor but what you are thinking is too much."

Puffy simply rolled her eyes and loaded her stuff on the wagon. "Fine, you don't have to agree with me but if it comes down to that, you know what I want and what I want for her."