Chapter 44: Mending

"Dream!" Drista snapped her fingers and Dream looked up, seeing himself in the arena where they would practice, the sun shining brightly. "You fell asleep during the break, you sure you aren't sick or anything?" She put one of her hands on her hips and the other held onto the sword they were using to practice.

'A nightmare? Really? Oh, thank God.' Dream smiled to himself, getting up and lifting the sword in his hand. "Sorry- I just had some really weird dream... more like a nightmare, actually," Dream laughed a bit, getting in position as they spent the rest of the morning practicing, him seeing the improvement in Drista's agility.

A land of total bliss as he couldn't wipe the smile off of his face, truly happy to see his sister alive and well. Summer solstice would arrive soon, after all. Maybe he wasn't doing his best at practicing, just thanking the world for the relief of it all only being a horrible nightmare.

Sitting on the steps as they drank their water bottles, Drista looking at Dream with curious eyes. "That dream you mentioned, what was it about?" She asked, watching Dream look away ever so slightly.

"Honestly, a lot happened but long story short- this whole apocalypse and well... you died," Dream sighed, seeing the face of Drista go dull and plain before she burst out in laughter.

"Oh silly," she grinned, but an unnatural laughter rang through Dream's ears. "I am dead!" The ringing of bells became unbearable as Dream clutched his ears in pain, looking up and seeing what he thought was his sister start to fade into dust. "You are in so much denial, I'm gone! Truly gone, forever!" Eyes going completely white as Dream shrieked in...

He didn't know why he screamed.

Perhaps it was shock, pain, misery, fear, all the above. But he screamed and then felt his entire body go limp as his vision went dark. The last thing he would ever see, his own sister, truly fading away from reality until he sat up, gasping for air as his lungs refused to breathe. Hands shaking and cold, reminding him of the same state he was after the death of his parents. Weak, faint, and pathetic. Clutching the mask close to him, in hopes of not dropping it, but he could hardly breathe. The surroundings seemed to blur as he blinked a few times in hopes of granting more clarity.

"Shh... Dream. You are okay, I promise. You are okay, safe, with us!" He heard a voice so familiar to him, feeling the soft touch of comfort on his shoulder, yet finding himself unable to look up to the other person. "We're your brothers, remember? I'm Badboyhalo, Sapnap is the one touching your shoulder, and George is holding your hand." Dream's eyes were dull as his shaking hands calmed slightly, tightening his grip on the hand which belonged to George. What if it was all a joke? Some sick trick done by Herobrine himself.

"Is Drista..." Dream's voice trailed off, but he never made eye contact with anyone. Seeming so distant and dark, his mood did not change, even with the warmth of the people who surrounded him. "Is she-" he could not understand why he was unable to manage to make out the words as tears poured down his face, unspoken sobs stuck in his throat.

Bad only nodded, brushing the hair out of Dream's eyes while he cried. Tears poured down uncontrollably as he sobbed, reaching out as the three held him while he cried. For truthfully, Dream had lost the only blood left in his life. "Let it out, cry as much as you want," Bad spoke quietly as tears continued to pour.

"I-" his breath hitched as he sobbed, holding on tightly to Badboyhalo as if holding on for his dear life. "I should've been there! I should've-" Dream simply continued to cry, how he hated how much he needed to. "I saw her in danger, and I let her go!"

"It's not your fault," Bad rubbed comforting circles on Dream's back, giving a worried look to the younger two of the group. George and Sapnap simply backed away, knowing Bad was the best choice for comfort at this moment in the plane of time but they never went too far.