Chapter 19: Eye of the Storm

Badboyhalo stepped through the doors of the clinic. Sapnap was off with Karl so Bad would gather the update on George's condition alone today. Dream had been in and out of the house, never talking or staying for too long at a time.

It hurt him to see his friend like that, but they all dealt with the situation differently. Bad kept a smile on his face and was the shoulder to cry on. As the oldest brother, he was supposed to care for the others; the job Nadia left him. Sap lacked the energy he once had and was the person who awoke from nightmares and cried on Bad's shoulder.

Dream simply avoided it all, and Bad had to respect that.

The handles against his hands felt cold, and Dr. Alloy was already there, waiting for him with the usual face that showed no expression. "Good day, I hope all is alright?" She spoke, getting a nod in return.

"Very well, we do have news." The red ribbon which tied her hair into a ponytail seemed dull in his eyes. The air felt somber and cold as the doctor told him to take a seat.

"Something happened last night at about 2:41 AM."

"What happened?" Bad asked, feeling quite impatient. A thousand possibilities rushed through his head. Whether he was awake or was he even alive at all? Panic rushed through his veins like blood.

"His wounds got worse, but we treated them, and it looks like they aren't infected. However, because of the distress George was put under, the estimated survival rate has dropped to 40%." The voice lacked any empathy or remorse, just stating it as if a child was reading off a script.

"Just... forty percent?" His voice broke, eyes shattering as tears threatened to come down. Gripping his fists tighter until they gave out, looking up at the doctor.

"Affirmative. Do you have any questions?"

"Is he... going to survive this?"

There was a pause in silence. Truth be told, she would usually state the survival rate again and leave it at that but the way the voice broke reminded her of what he and the others were facing.

"He's in good hands."

~

"Sapnap-" Karl looked at the other with beady brown eyes, his gaze was soft and warm. "I know you're sad but is there anything I can do to help?" he asked, looking at the empty expression which looked back at him.

"Being here... is good enough," Sapnap sighed, receiving yet another hug from the brown-haired male, feeling the soft pats on his head. A part of him was tired, exhausted. Not physically, maybe physically but emotionally tired of it all.

Tired of watching Bad take over and put everyone's stress on his shoulders, tired of only seeing Dream for seconds each day, knowing he was on the verge of breaking apart. Tired of the same old routine of heading to the clinic every day just to get the same old He's in good hands.

The nightmares that haunted his slumber did not help with his case. Sap wasn't the only tired one, he could see it hurting all of them. Exhaustion, pain, misery, agony, regret, a mix of it all. A mix he wished to get rid of forever.

"Quackity will be back with some treats, I hope that helps!" Karl smiled, watching as the expression he faced remained still. He sat beside Sapnap, wrapping his arm around him. It felt like a daze, he was empty, and Karl could faintly see the other trying to close his eyes.

The door opened quietly where a small male walked in, a little beanie on his head. "I brought something from the market, how's it going?" He spoke quietly, looking down at their friend who he could only imagine what was going through his mind.