Chapter 28: Mistaken

"George-" the words barely managed to slip out. There was pain overwhelming him with every step, but he could only watch the pain that the person in front of him was in. He never wanted to take out the blade, never wanted to hurt him.

There were the shadows keeping him from being in control, all he could do was try to break free, try to desperately stop the force that kept him out of control. Tears spilling from his face as he managed to snag a few seconds of time.

So vulnerable, so alone, so cold and alone. Yet, he felt the warm and familiar touch on his cheek, feeling the soft hands wiping tears of fear away. "Dream?" It was a whisper, and through those words, the amount of pain in it. As if he could break like simple glass.

Feeling the demons drag him back to simply watch. "Run... away from- go!" He cried as he knew, time was up. Watched as his own body lunged and slashed George, right across the torso. Crying hysterically in fear as he tried to set himself free. "The pendant! Take it off-" It was as if he was being dunked into rough water over and over, gasping for air only to be submerged underwater once more.

Yet, in the corner of his eye, silhouettes flickered in and out of his vision. Bodies he could recognize but never pinpoint exactly who or when he's even seen them. But he knew for a fact that these were people he has met.

These constant whispers in his head, attempting to block out anything and everything, but never succeeding. The world shaking around him as he could only watch as his closest friends, the brothers he grew up with, try to save him.

"Dream, wake up."

Opening his eyes and stretching from where his mat lay on the plain field. Not much sleep had been gotten lately, but that was more so part of the mission. The sun had hardly risen and Sapnap sat beside him. "Good morning Pandas."

"My name isn't Pandas- But that's beside the point. You looked like you were having a nightmare, tossing and turning and all that stuff," he sighed before standing up and brushing off the stray blades of grass off his pants.

"You could say that-" Dream chuckled a bit before getting up and packing his stuff into the back of the wagon. The rest of the group awoke quickly and soon they would continue their mission which was... anticlimactic to say the least.

The number of monsters they had encountered was normal, perhaps even on the low side. The weather was normal, nothing too out of the ordinary could be seen. No tracks, no change in breeze or passive wildlife, nothing.

The wheels went slowly across the field, which soon changed into forest. "A few more miles and then we'll be done. There's a cliff nearby too," Techno instructed the group as he pulled on the reigns a little to make the horses go slightly faster.

Continuing to observe their surroundings, occasional shooting down the few zombies that managed to find them until the wagon came to an abrupt stop. "That's a lot closer than I thought-" Punz mumbled, looking at the cliff before them. Dream made his way there and looked down, decently deep. If someone were to fall, it would be practically impossible to survive that.

It was a quick flash where he saw his youngest brother in front of him, reaching out and falling from the cliff. A flash that lasted for a few seconds but caused so much pain. Dream tried to reach out but felt himself being pulled back by the others as tears threatened to pool. Yet what he could not understand was the Sapnap he saw had bright, glowing white eyes.

"Dream, I'm right here. Don't worry." Dream's head whipped behind him as he saw Sapnap, right behind him, comforting him gently. "I know you're afraid of heights so why don't we just back away for a bit, okay?" Dream nodded and tried to laugh it off casually, but it never worked well.