Chapter 22: Blood and Water

Sapnap had his bags, waving at Bad who had dropped him off at the docks at the end of Minilus. He had never traveled this far out of village without his comrades, the climate was slightly cooler than the village which they lived in.

He was fascinated by the motor in the back. It was like a miniature water wheel, unlike the larger one in the center of town. There seemed to be no paddles, or any hard work needed to power the boat. All this technology was new and no doubt it was thanks to the top engineers in Caiya.

Hopping on the boat and looking around. There weren't many other people traveling to the hermit-like island, most likely due to the poor weather. The skies were gray, and a cool wind blew throughout the open air. Sapnap kept his backpack close to his seat which was near one of the crewmates.

"Say, you heading to Caiya, young lad?" The other asked which Sapnap nodded in return. The person in front of him was of average height, with dirty-blonde hair and a cyan attire. "The name's Jimmy, Jimmy Solidarity." He smirked, before going off to take off the anchor.

Despite expectations, the boat ran smoothly, and chatter filled the air. Sapnap looked around, people who he had never met were scattered amongst the deck. "Nice to meet you. I'm Sapnap, Sapnap Loft," he smiled and looked at the ocean.

A shade of blue that shined like stars. A few seagulls that flew across the sky, he found himself quite fascinated by it all. Time would remain this way until a gruff voice from the captain spoke and the docks awaited, along with the island of Caiya.

He had the address in his pocket. Thankfully the house seemed to be on the outskirts of town, so Sap would not have to deal with any tourists or any of the traffic. Calling a nearby wagon in which he sat in the back, the horses brought him to his destination.

There was an uneasiness in the back of his throat. People who were related to him by blood. The thought was impossible to comprehend, that he would meet people who loved him before he met them. At least, he hoped they would... that's how biological family works... right?

The carriage came to a halt, and he stepped down the steps in front of the home. It was a decent size, larger than the one he lived in. Holding his bags to his side, Sapnap brought his right hand up and held it silently for a bit.

To knock... or to simply stand here idly. Bringing his hand to the door and slowly but surely, he knocked three times, watching the wooden door open slowly. "Um... hello? Is this the home of Sarah Pan?" His voice was awkward, and he watched the woman in front of him bring her hands to her mouth in shock.

"Sapnap? Is that you?" Her voice trembled as she rushed to hug him. He internally cringed at the touch. Nobody other than his family really could go and be like that, but then again, this woman is his family.

We'll call it the bloodline paradox.

Walking in and seeing a few family portraits on the walls. There was Sarah, a man who was much taller than her and slightly taller than himself, and a little girl in the center. That's when he realized that these people looked like him.

Sarah had the same dark hair as himself while the little girl in the photo had dark eyes that resembled his eyes perfectly. A man walked out of one of the rooms and waved. Sapnap waved in return and watched them walk over, the little girl hopping down the stairs.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you," The man smiled, shaking Sapnap's hand. "You can call me Nico and I'm Sarah's husband," he smiled while Sapnap watched the couple exchange a kiss.

So that's what romantic love is like.

"Mommy? Who is this?" Sapnap turned to see the little girl, surely not much older than eight. The girl with the same dark eyes, short with rosy cheeks and a white knitted sweater, her dark hair tied into pigtails.