039

January 14th

When Skye was growing up, she saw her eighteenth birthday as something to be excited about. It meant freedom, especially freedom from her mother, but Skye wasn't so happy today, even though she felt like she was supposed to be.

She had still been a little down in the dumps, which came out of nowhere, but when your mind starts thinking of worst-case scenarios in the middle of the night, your mood can change completely. Skye felt as if she was at fault for ruining the group's friendship with Hunter, but she had actually been doing them a favor without even realizing it. Hunter hadn't been such a saint even to his own best friends for a long time, which Skye didn't know as she only met them this school year.

As Skye went to school on what should've been the perfect Thursday, she roamed the halls with a pout. No one had wished her a happy birthday yet, but at this point, she didn't see the point as she wasn't even happy herself. Skye watched as she saw another student who shared the same birthday as her be met with tons of birthday cards upon opening their locker, making Skye roll her eyes and head to homeroom.

After not hearing anything from Danny (which shocked her considering he's such a sweetheart), Skye then went to chemistry after the bell, expecting a big to-do from Levi as he loved doing the most for anything and everything. She kind of hoped he'd pick her up and spin her around while squeezing the life out of her like he did that time she came back to school after being sick for a few days, but even that didn't happen. Skye just went to her seat while groaning.

"Hey." She said, lazily tossing her backpack to the floor and slouching into her chair.

"Hey..." Levi furrowed his eyebrows as he watched Skye mope.

Did he seriously forget? Skye thought to herself. There was no way Levi could possibly forget something as big as this. It was her birthday! Where were the balloons, the confetti, and even a stupid serenade from the school choir? Yes, Skye had witnessed that before, and damn was it absolutely adorable. Even with the gloominess, Skye expected Levi to turn her day around. He always did, so why not today?

The two didn't speak another word after that as their teacher began class. They had an upcoming test, so today they were going to review the current chapter with everyones "favorite"; a review packet. There's totally nothing better than a thick stack of papers forced together with a stapler and full of review questions front to back. Just what Skye needed to start the day.

"Kill me now." Skye groaned as she lightly tapped her head against the desk.

"Do you want to work on the packet together?" Levi proposed, thinking it would make both of their lives easier, especially considering they had the highest grade out of the whole class. The two were still tied too, but both had a feeling it would stay that way until the end of the year.

"Fine." She sighed. "Let's get this over with."

"Um, before we start though, are you okay?" He asked.

"I will be when this day is over, thank you for asking," Skye replied harshly. It appeared that Levi's little plan was working a little too well.

•••

After the school day, Skye arrived back home, stretching her arms out with a yawn then tossing her backpack and kicking her shoes to the floor before going to the living room where her dad typically was if he wasn't working.