044

January 29th

The day of winter formal rolled along after quite a stressful week (one involving Skye arguing with her dad over the difference between shades of blue), and Skye meant business. Seeing as her date with Levi was specified to not be just as friends, this would go down in history as one of the most stressful nights in Skye's life. It definitely wasn't number one, but it was in the top ten somewhere for sure. Absolutely nothing could go wrong tonight, and if it did anyway, then she wouldn't be all that surprised. Skye had big hopes though, so she was going to keep up with the positive vibes-only mindset for as long as she could.

Skye sat in a chair while her dad combed her curls and attempted to pull them back into a ponytail, her head almost being yanked back harshly on accident. "Ow!"

"Sorry!" Her dad immediately apologized. "I haven't done your hair in forever."

Forever really meant since junior prom last year, but it still felt like a long time ago for Scott. Skye usually handled her hair on her own, but the hairstyle she wanted to achieve tonight simply couldn't be done by herself, and there was nobody better than the world's greatest dad to do the job. He used to do this all the time during Skye's elementary school days as her mother didn't know how to handle her hair at all, so this was a piece of cake for him (only almost though as he was a bit rusty at the moment).

"Do you want your bangs slicked back?" He asked, gently tugging on a curly, short piece of hair that laid on her forehead.

"No." She replied. To be honest, Skye was a bit insecure about her forehead as she thought she possessed a large forehead (or fivehead as the kids would say to others in middle school). She found that her bangs suited her once they grew out properly and weren't an absolute hack job compared to when she cut them randomly with safety scissors in the seventh grade though.

"Now what about this ponytail you want? High, mid, or low?" Scott questioned.

"High."

"You got it." He nodded, getting back to work with Skye's hair.

Hair gods, please let my hair look flawless for the dance tonight. Just this once. Skye thought to herself while her dad pulled her hair back and grabbed a scrunchie (one that matched her dress) to tie it all together. It was so silly to think like that, but Skye wanted tonight to go well so desperately she might end up going feral once it was all over in a case where she worried so much for nothing.

After doing some finishing touches, Scott was done with his daughter's hair, grabbing a handheld mirror and handing it to Skye so she could see the final result. "Alright, what do we think?"

Skye really had to hand it to him, the guy still got it. Maybe secretly praying to the hair gods worked in her favor because her hair really was flawless. Sure, she may have a massive headache by the end of the night due to the tightness of her ponytail, but at least she looked good!

"I love it." She said, standing up to (carefully) hug her dad. "Thank you so much."

"Anything for my pumpkin." Scott hugged back.

Skye let go of her dad and looked at the time, figuring she should get back to getting ready (and do it quickly). "Okay, I gotta go do my makeup, put on my dress and shoes, and I should be good to go."