050

Skye pedaled on as if her life depended on it, riding down every street like she were in the middle of a high-speed chase. Her heart was racing like crazy and her legs began to feel like jelly as she pedaled her bike with more force than usual. She was really doing this, she was really going to crash this date and finally get what she wants. As Skye got closer and closer to the diner, she swore she could hear her heartbeat pound in her ears like a massive drum.

She got more and more nervous the closer she got, but the thrill of the situation made Skye ignore it as best as she could. With a bit of a self to self pep talk, she was motivated. "You're doing this, you're doing this, you're doing this, you're-"

Skye stopped as she saw the bright, colorful lights of the diner enter her eyesight. Anyone could spot those lights from miles away, and as the red LED lights practically blinded her eyes, a smile crept up on Skye's face, and then she pedaled faster than ever before, ignoring the soreness from the bottom of her feet to the bones in her knees. It would all be worth it later, that's what she kept on telling herself in her mind.

Getting off her bike and letting it tip over and fall to the ground, Skye began to walk up to the entrance, passing the sea of cars in the crowded parking lot. Her steps started quick, but then she slowed down as she spotted Levi through the glass of the exterior. Skye then stopped herself completely, eyes locking in on the view of him and Megan sitting together.

She could see the smile on both of their faces, watching them laugh at Levi trying to balance a french fry above his lips as he pursed them and failing to do so. She couldn't read lips at all, but she could see how happy they looked. Skye couldn't ruin that, it felt wrong. Live without regret? How could she ruin the happy time they were having without regret? She simply couldn't, and that's when Skye took back everything and turned around. She wasn't going to ruin this date. Not now, not ever.

Skye grabbed her bike, hopped onto the seat, then rode slowly out of the diner, putting her head down low as she went back to her house with a frown on her face. She never felt more stupid in her life. How could she have been so blind? Skye was so blinded by the rush that she would have (in her eyes) ruined Levi's happiness for the sake of her own. It seemed so unlike her, and she was glad that she stopped herself before it all got worse.

"Skye, sometimes we have to be a little selfish. We're only human." It all seemed too funny looking back on the things Nikki said to her that lead to this very moment. Maybe it was a good thing that she did say them. Sometimes we do have to be a little selfish, but Nikki didn't say always, and that's what held Skye back.

•••

In Sadie's diner, Levi and Megan indulged in their burgers, having just shared a laugh together and not realizing that they were briefly being watched by Skye. The two exes no longer had any bad blood (it barely existed in the first place, but still) and were now just focusing on enjoying the rest of the night together. Levi had tried his best to keep Skye off of his mind no matter how much she kept on reappearing. It was almost unbearable, feeling guilty for thinking about another girl while with Megan, but it had been made clear there were no intentions of getting back together, so the guilt started to fade.

Skye had gotten brought up by Megan without even realizing it when she pointed to Levi's bracelet, complimenting on its beauty. "I like your bracelet. It's cute."

"Oh, thanks. My mom got it for me and Skye." God, there goes the guilt again. Levi's mom didn't ever buy gifts for him and Megan. To be fair, Levi didn't really have her over his house much as he spent more time at hers, but the reminders of his past relationship kept coming back. The combination of Megan's natural intimidation didn't help either. "She, uh, she came over for Hanukkah. We're lab partners, so we hang out a lot."