Chapter 33

I placed the final pieces of the neatly cut boards, holding them in place and allowing them to glue together. It was almost the end of the day at work and I had just finished making the house model that I was assigned to do.

I let go and analysed the finished product as I removed the pieces of hard glue sticking onto the tip of my fingers.

"That's a really neat model." Katie complimented as she admired my work.

I nodded my head in acknowledgement before passing her a short smile. Katie then sighed at my behaviour before pushing her chair closer to my desk.

"It's almost the end of the day and you are still acting moody as heck." She whined as she shook my chair as though it would bring some new
energy into my nerves.

I sighed before rubbing my fingers against the temple of my head. "Yesterday was way too embarassing."

Katie tittered playfully. "I'm sorry Tammy but you never try to express yourself and I had to use that golden opportunity."

I furrowed my brows at her words. "Wait, what do you mean by that? You didn't know he was there right?"

Katie rolled her eyes in free spirit. "You said you were on speaker. You wouldn't have mentioned it unless someone else was present and obviously that 'someone else' had to be Shane. I'm a genius, I know." 

I glared at Katie with fury, the ache in my head only increasing further by each passing second.

"If by genius you mean evil, then you are a genius Katie."

Katie laughed before leaning forward and pulling my cheeks, "You are going to thank me one day, Tammy." She sang as swirled around with her seat.

Sighing, I rested my head against the desk, the chilled surface easing my nerves a little bit.

Noticing my lack of energy, Katie rolled her seat towards me before giving me a little hug.

"Okay, I'm sorry." She then apologised and I smiled softly at her, my eyes straining a bit as I tried to look at her.

"Please don't do that again." I requested.  That only resulted in her smiling sheepishly at me although I could briefly sense the pity in her eyes as she surveyed my emotions.

"I can't promise anything." She then stated truthfully and I kicked her swivel seat, pushing her away from me.

"Why are you so annoying?" I whined as I buried my head further into the desk.

Katie laughed, "And so I have been told. You need to get yourself out of this zone you have created. How long are you going to detach yourself from people just to avoid the chance of being hurt?"

I frowned in disagreement. "I dont detach myself from people. Just Shane."

"Is that so? Then name a friend of yours that isn't me."

My cheeks tightened in embarassment at her blunt question  as I rubbed my eyes.

"Sebastian is my friend."

Katie stared at me dumbfoundedly. "He is only your friend because he is my boyfriend. Plus, I've only seen you make a conversation with him twice and that too because I forced you to."

Feeling uncomfortable, I then sat straight on my seat as I surrendered. "Fine."

"Fine, what?"

I sighed in exasperation, "I'll trying being more interactive."

I watched her as she now smiled in victory, hope filled in her eyes as she stared at me in awe.

"Happiness is never constant. It's like waves, you feel it and then in a moment its missing. That's how life is. What's important is that you make the best out of the waves you receive. There's good and bad waves but how are you going to feel it if you stick to the shore?"