Chapter 18

"Hurry up, I don't have all the time in the world."

I rubbed the back of my hand against the tip of my nose, wiping away the little stain of flour. Placing both my hands on the counter top, I blew away the little strands of hair hovering over my face. "Shut up, you ungrateful cow."

Picking up the rolling pin, I continued to flatten the dough as I cursed under my breath. Ever since I got caught on my little lie, well, not so little, I've had to cook every other day for the two of us. It has only made me feel further more miserable and not because of the fact that I have to cook but because of the fact that I am cooking for him as well. The worst part is, he loves the food.

Shane chuckled as he gleefully continued to toss the apple up in the air.

"Why so angry, Cactus?" He teased.

Setting the rolling pin aside, I rested my hands on hips and glared profusely. "Don't. Call. Me. That."

His lips turned into a toothy grin as he caught the apple with one hand for possibly the hundredth time. "Too bad, I like it."

Letting out a groan, I grabbed the rolling pin and recommenced with what I was doing.

"Cactus."

"What?" I snapped in annoyance. It's taking every cell in being to prevent myself from attacking him right now.

"You may want to check how that flatbread is coping up with the heat over there." He stated and I let out a gasp before twirling on my feet and rushing toward the stove. I picked the flatbread on top of the pan, a whole side of it almost completely black. Letting out a whine, I kept it aside before placing a new flat dough on top of the pan.

Walking back toward the counter, I picked up the rolling pin and began to flatten a new piece of dough.

"Cac-"

"Out of all the nicknames you could've thought of, is this the only one you managed to come up with!?" I scowled, pointing the rolling pin accusingly at him. He grinned crookedly, his gaze burning through me as he set the apple on counter.

"So, you don't mind me giving you a nickname?" He asked, a smirk soon making it's way to his lips.

I heaved a sigh, shaking my head as I continued to flatten the dough into an ideal circle.

"That's not what I meant." I muttered under my breath before walking over to the stove and flipping the flatbread over. I ambled back to the counter, my eyes not meeting his.

"Tinker Bell."

I glanced up at him, raising a questioning brow. Shane placed his elbows on the surface of the counter as he sat, resting his chin against either of his palms. "You asked me if cactus was the only nickname I could come up with, so here's another one."

"Why Tinker bell?" I asked with gritted teeth, my fingers clenching tightly around the rolling pin.

"Have you seen her?" He asked cockily, his gaze burning through me in a playful manner, "She gets so worked up when she gets frustrated. Her face turns red like a tomato-"

"Oh my goodness!" I groaned, bringing my hands up in the air in exasperation. Shane chuckled, pointing his index finger leisurely at me.

"That's exactly what I was talking about."

I stared at him, dead in the eye, a vacant expression hovering my face as I dropped my hands to my side.

"Can you please do me a favor and shut the hell up? Please? Atleast until I'm done with this?" I scolded, my finger pointing at the little dough in front of me.

When I didn't get a response, I decided to walk back to the stove and set the fresh flatbread aside. Walking back toward the counter, I glanced at Shane, he sat silently on the stool, his phone held in his hand as his fingers typed at the screen.

Placing a flat dough on the pan, I walked again, toward the counter, picking up the rolling pin to flatten yet another dough.

"Cactus."

My jaw clenched, my teeth gritting together. What major sin have I committed to get the punishment of even knowing this man?

"Can you see this thing right here?" I asked, pointing at the rolling pin held in my hand.

"If you don't shut that hole on your face, I will throw this onto your head. And trust me, Mister, I'm not joking." I warned, my eyes narrowing as I glared menacingly.

Seconds of uncomfortable yet aloof silence drifted between us. Blowing a strand of hair away from my face dramatically, I continued to flatten the dough, cursing relentlessly.

I could feel the smile on his face as he gazed at me, his body remaining unfazed as he watched my every movement. The little silence broke, His manly chuckle sounding like a whisper as he laughed under his breath.

"Such a cute little Tinker Bell."

The next array of seconds felt like a slow motion. His eyes widened as I raised my hand, throwing it behind and bringing it forward with as little force as possible as I do not want to commit a murder. I let my hold against the rolling pin loosen, the wooden utensil abruptly flying forward. Shane ducked his head in alarm, resulting in the rolling pin missing it's target as it flew behind, a thud noise resonating around the house as it rolled over the floor.

"I thought I asked you to shut up."