Chapter 12

I stared in awe as I stood in front of the house.

It wasn't as big as mine and his parent's but it looked so...welcoming. I began to walk my way into the mansion, Shane following behind me with my luggages.

Entering the house, I couldn't help but wander.

I made sure to get a glimpse of every corner, a smile plastering on my face as I adored my new surroundings.

The house has a modern look with a vintage touch to it. The walls are all white and so are the marble tiles. Off-white curtains are hovered over the full sized windows while a few arabian carpets decorated the floor.

This almost felt like home.

Almost, since I will have to see a certain someone's face everyday starting from today.

Shane clear his throat, interrupting me from my train of thoughts and gaining my full attention. I turned around and raised a questioning brow.

"Come with me, I'll show you your room." He said, gripping on the handle of my suitcase, moving his head as he indicated the staircase.

Oh my God.

I could feel the blood rush on my body as I tensed. Why did I not think this through? I do not want to sleep in the same room as him.

So many thoughts bombarded into my mind as I stared at him like a thief had just robbed the house.

He seemed to notice, a faint smirk visible on his lips as he turned around, his back facing toward me. I watched him as he flicked the travelling bag over his shoulder, dragging the suitcase as he walked toward the staircase.

Abort mission, abort mission-

"Don't worry, there is a separate room for you." He said, not looking behind.

I let out a deep breath I didn't know I was holding. Composing myself, I rushed behind his feet as we now climbed up the staircase to the foreign floor.

▪ ▪ ▪

I walked out of the washroom, my bare feet making contact with the cold tiles, one white towel wrapped around my body while I dried my wet hair with another. Droplets of water fell to the as I picked my clothes and put them on piece by piece.

Sitting on the edge of my new king sized bed, I pulled on the handle of my suitcase before opening it's zip. Clean white sheets were tucked underneath the mattress with a thick white blanket draped over it. The material felt comfortably cold under my palms. The weather has been quite too low here in New york the past few days and so I haven't had the need to touch the a/c remote.

I leaned down, picking up my folded clothes, pile by pile, setting each by my side.

A smile graced my lips as I leaned down, grabbing the soft toy from the corner of the suitcase and holding it dearly in my hands.
It was a cute dark brown monkey that I have always kept on my bed for the past seven years.

I smiled, setting the soft toy in the middle of the bed, in front of the pillows.

I turned back to my luggage and stared at the small ornament that sat right next to where the soft toy was once situated. Taking a hold of the object, my eyes viewed it in pure pain.

Flashback

15 years ago

"Dad!"

I looked behind as my gaze landed on Everlyn. She held a pink box with a Barbie doll in it. Dad looked down at her, picking up the rectangular box and examining it.