Chapter 20

My eyes remained shut as I continued to brush my teeth, the foam of the toothpaste peeking out of a corner of my lips.

I spat the toothpaste and rinsed my mouth with water. Splashing the cold water onto my face, I rubbed face wash against it before washing it away.

Squinting my eyes slowly open, I stared at the birds nest on my head. I let out a sigh, stripping myself naked before stepping into the shower cubicle and pulling the faucet upwards, a little to the left, allowing warm water to glisten down my body.

Walking out of the washroom, my body felt more alive. Putting on my clothes, I brushed the nest on my head, turning it into straight luscious hair.

I was now standing in the kitchen, pouring a portion of milk into a bowl of colorful cereal. Placing a spoon in the bowl, I rubbed my eyes as I strolled towards the sofa, carrying the bowl in my hand. Flumping onto the sofa, I rested my feet on the coffee table before turning on the television and switching the channels until I reached comedy central.

Only a minute or so passed until the sound of the doorbell erupted inside the house. Placing the bowl on the coffee table and dropping my feet to the ground, I walked toward the door, pulling it open.

"Good morning, Charles." I greeted our security guard as he stood before me. Charles is in his late 40s, sporting a bald head, and a belly from eating a dunkin' donut almost every single day.

"Good morning, Tamara, I came to inform you that here will be a water cut from 7:30 am to 10:30 am." Charles stated bluntly, his expressions dull as he stood.

My lips formed an 'o' and I nodded my head as I apprehended. "Alright. Thank you, Charles."

Charles muttered a welcome under his breath before walking away grumpily with his head hung low. I have never had a proper conversation with Charles, but there's one fact I know for sure. He hates his job.

Closing the door, I walked back to the couch and folded my legs up together before grabbing the bowl of cereal.

I looked to my right at the sound of the door to the refrigerator being pulled open. Shane stood in front of the fridge, a carton of mango juice held in his hand. He wore a pair of shorts, his glorious torso on display with a towel hung around his neck.

The moment he turned, I looked ahead, staring at the random advertisement playing on the television.

"Someone's up early today." I heard him say as he began to walk back upstairs. Ignoring his comment, I stuffed a spoonful of cereal into my mouth.

"There will be a water cut from 7:30 am to 10:30 am."

My eyes shot up to the analogue clock, it's hands marking 7:25.

"Wait!" I hollered, as I looked behind.

Shane halted on his steps, glancing at me, perplexed. "Yeah?" He asked, adjusting the towel around his neck.

My mind instantaneously began to overflow with a battle between good and evil, unsurprisingly, evil won, a devilish a smirk making it's way to my lips. What better way is there to start the day?

"Good morning." I gleamed. Not waiting for a response, I faintly shrugged my shoulders before turning my torso back toward the television.