Chapter 1

Shane's POV

Pressing the button to the elevator, I twisted the silver watch on my wrist as I checked the time.

*ding*

I pulled my coat closer to my chest as I walked inside the sumptuous mammoth elevator. Letting out a sigh as I stood in the vacant space, I fixed my dark hair that has managed to unkemptly stick to the side of my forehead, before pressing on the desired floor.

Seconds passed and the luxurious box came to a hault, it's doors opening wide before me. An employee stepped inside, her eyes widening apprehensively for a mere second.

"G-Good afternoon Sir."

I nodded, sauntering my way out of the elevator with my hands in my pockets. The secretary in the hall looked up at me, steadying her hunched posture while seated on the swivel chair behind her enormous desk.

Greeting her with a firm nod, I knocked softly against the translucent door.

"Come in."

Pushing the door open, I stepped inside the room, the chilly breeze from the air conditioner hitting onto my cheeks. Dad stood up from his seat, excitement radiating through him as his eyes gleamed. "Shane, I have been waiting."

I nodded in response before walking toward his desk and slouching onto the seat in front.

"What was so urgent that made you want me to drive all the way here when we could have just discussed over the phone?" I queried as I rested my arm against the arm handle attached to the swivel chair.

Our family is very well-known for it's business. My father, Anthony Turford, being the Chief executive office of his own company. My brother, Trent Turford, the chief-financial officer and myself, being the chief-executive officer of my very own company that I have worked hard on through thick and thin.

Dad cleared his throat and fixed his tie before sitting on his enormous black seat, rather hesitantly. His demeanor seemed neurotic I couldn't really fathom why.

"Well, its about something a little more...bizzare than you are expecting." He chuckled nervously, not daring to look directly at me.

I raised a brow, "yeah?"

"Remember Mr.Quinten?" He then asked, fidgeting his fingers nervously as they rested on the surface of his desk.

"Oliver? what about him?" I questioned. Dad nodded absentmindedly before scratching his forehead.

"Well, do you remember how Oliver and I had always aspired for a possibility of you ending up with his daughter some day. You remember her right? Everlyn?"

I stared at him dumbfoundedly as I tried to register the familiar name into my brain.

A faint memory of her flashed into the back of my head and I nodded meekly.

Everyln.

She was like a little porcelain doll. Thick titanium blond hair flawlessly falling down her sculpted shoulders as she always sported the brightest smile amongst the crowd.

Never have I had the opportunity to share a proper conversation with her but from what I've heard, her accompany was something most men I've known have been striving for but always failed to achieve.

"Come to the point, Dad?" I asked, muddled by what exactly was running inside his mind.

Dad tittered with unease as he scratched the back of his head.

"Oliver... well, he.. I mean, the both of us.." he trailed off, not seeming to have the courage to express what was lurking in the back of his head.