Chapter 6

I was seated in front of my dressing table while Everlyn did my make up. We were supposed to visit the Turfords for dinner and Dad had asked Everlyn to prepare me since she has a 'better' taste in fashion than I do.

I continued to keep my gaze fixed on Everlyn, her eyes never meeting mine.

I led out a sigh. "So aren't you ever going to talk to me?" I asked and she showed no sign of response.

I pursed my lips, feeling hurt on the inside. Everlyn has not spoken to me ever since the whole incident.

"I didn't ask for this, Everlyn, and you know that very well. Trust me, if I could change his decision, I would. I don't want this marriage to happen as much as you don't want it to."

She rose up from her bent posture, closing the lid of the eyeliner. "All done," was all she said before turning on her heels and exiting the room, not allowing me to utter another word.

I stared at my room door in shock and pain. I felt guilty, even though none of this was exactly my fault.

Is this how everything's going to be? What did I ever do wrong for these people to hate me so much?

I got up from my seat and walked toward my full size mirror. I was wearing a sleevless black lace dress which ended at my knee level. My hair was let loose and I wore black platform pumps.

I heard Mom call out my name and I walked out of my room, meeting her face to face.

"You are ready. Come on, let's get going." Mom said, cupping my cheeks as she smiled.

I led out a sigh, averting my gaze from her before walking ahead. "Tamara, cheer up for goodness sake."

My hands involuntarily clenched to a fist and I turned around, facing my mother.

"Cheer up? You want me to cheer up after all that has been happening? I am getting married to that idiot and you want me to cheer up?"

Mom stood still, her expression blank as though it wasn't a big deal.

"That idiot you are calling has a name and is also your fiance."

I rolled my eyes. "Tell me something I don't know." I grumbled through gritted teeth.

"Since when have you started being so rude!?" Mom pretty much yelled, displeasure evident in her response.

"Since the moment you and Dad decided to get me engaged to someone I didn't even know? I don't want to get married in the first place, Mom, forget about getting married to that dic-...idiot."

Mom took in a sharp breath, annoyance hinting in her act.

"Tamara, we have no choice, On the plus side He is a very good man and has a lot of manners. Honestly, I think it would be better if you marry him, maybe he could help you with that attitude of yours."

I scowled, my jaw flying open and my lips moving in disbelief. I raised my hands up in the air, my body slightly turning as I did so. "What attitude?"

Mom raised her right hand, pointing her index finger toward me. "That attitude."

I quickly dropped my hands to my sides, sighing in exhaustion.

"Mom, do you want to know how I feel about this?" I asked but she acted ignorant to it.

"I'd rather die."

I turned around, not wanting to see the reaction on my mother's face as I walked away from her.

"Watch your tongue, young lady!" I heard Mom yell as I walked down the stairs but I ignored. I stomped all the way down to the garden and toward the gates, not wanting to wait till anyone else.