Chapter 13

I am sorry if I am disappointing you but this  entire chapter is only a flashback..

Flashback

7 years ago

"How was school today, Everlyn?"

"Just the usual." Everlyn shrugged, smiling at our father as she twirled the fork around her fingers.

"How is the cheerleading going?" Dad then asked. Everlyn smiled wider as she sat straighter.

"It's good, the next match is on Friday." She informed with pride as she gulped in the food.

"What about you, Tamara? How was school today?"

I hesitated, lifting my gaze from my plate to my father with all the courage I could gain.

"It was fine." I answered before picking the spoon aimlessly.

After a brief moment of thankful silence, he decided to speak up again.

"Have you been studying well these days?" Dad then asked curiously, slightly leaning forward as he tried to gain my attention.

I nodded, not lifting my gaze to him.

"Oh my God." Mom unexpectedly shrieked, the chair making a creaking sound against the floor as she leaned to my side and rubbed her thumb against my cheek.

I hissed at the slight pain, pulling away.

"What the hell is this mark on your cheek, Tamara?" Mom asked with panic lacing through her tone.

I abruptly looked away, feeling a lump rise in my throat.

"I fell."

"You fell?" Dad scoffed in disbelief,

"What is it with you? You have been getting low grades lately, you keep yourself locked in your room, you rarely speak, even the teachers have started complaining that you don't pay attention in class. And now you are effortlessly lying about that bruise on your face. You never used to be like this, Tamara." He scolded while his left hand clenched into a fist.

I stared at Everlyn who seemed unmoved with the situation while she concentrated on finishing her plate. Deep down I always knew she despised me, but I could never fathom why.

"I'm sorry." was all I said, my voice croaking as I averted my gaze to my father with shame.

Dad sighed as his fingers tugging at his hair. "I've suddenly lost my appetite." He said in frustration, pushing his plate away.

Mom glanced between the two of us before setting her gaze on me. "What happened to your cheek, Tamara?"

I couldn't think straight anymore. My vision started to blur as my eyes moistioned with the tears that were screaming to be let out.

I stood from my seat, my gaze landing on Margaret. She stood in the corner, sympathy visible in her eyes as she watched the scene.