Chapter 4

Tamara's POV

I adjusted my heels one last time as I walked out of my room and down the stairs, my hand holding on the railing of the staircase to keep myself steady.

As soon as I presented myself in the hall I noticed that everyone was seated in the living room. There was quite a set.

My eyes caught its attention on a small figure. The boy was around the age of ten, he had one hand resting on the arm rest while he casually eyed my presence.

I grinned, waving softly at him. He quickly looked away, a sheepish smile forming on his face as he shyly rested his head on the arm rest with one hand covering his face.

I giggled at the kid's behaviour and diverted my attention to my sister who was seated on a couch with her head hung low.

Why does she seem so gloomy? She was excited just a while ago.

As my presence became prominet, all eyes were on me. Dad got up from his seat, adjusting his shirt nervously. "Just give me a minute, I will have to talk with my daughter." He assured before walking toward......me?

I furrowed my brows as I watched Dad in confusion.

"Tamara, come with me." He muttered under his breath, his voice sounding very rough.

I took one last look at Everlyn who was still staring at her lap, her body looking very stiff as she sat.

What is happening?

I followed my father to the dining room, various thoughts scurrying into my head.

Did he not like Everlyn? Did Everlyn cancel the engagement? Is the marriage off?

"What's wrong, Dad?" I asked as soon as we entered the dining room.

Dad seemed stiff and hesitant. He looked down and adjusted the sleeve of his shirt, his eyes never meeting mine.

"You are getting married to him."

I furrowed my brows before gaping at him.

"What the ......what?!" I hissed at the unexpected comment, my heart beat rate increasing profusely.

Dad glanced at me for a split second before averting his gaze to his surroundings. "You heard me." He confirmed in a monotone, pursing his lips to a firm line.

"B-but wasn't he going to get engaged to Everlyn?" I asked through gritted teeth while my hands moved randomly in the air.

This has got to be some cruel joke.

But the thing is, Dad never jokes. Atleast not with me.

Dad had his gaze fixated on the wall, not daring look at me. "Yes, but it seems he is interested in you." He said, disappointment evident in his tone. I felt a lump rise in my throat while my eyes fluttered.

"I can't do this." I admitted, the tension rising between us.

Dad let out a groan, annoyance boosting inside of him. "I am relying on you for this one time, Tamara. I really need this," He grumbled. "We really need this."

I cannot just do a favor that would scar my life forever.

I sighed. "Dad this is marriage we are talking about, I just....I just can't do it. There must be another way to solve our problem, this cannot be the only solution."

"If we become a part of them, they can help us in many ways than you can even imagine. Tamara you have always been keen to do the most foolish things in the world. Your sister moved out six years ago and is living independently but you still stay here inspite of the fact that you earn a decent amount of money. You rarely talk to people and you never let new people in your life. The only person I've ever seen you converse with is with that friend of yours. It's like you build walls up fill an aura around you everytime someone's around," He said, disappointment evident in his tone.