Chapter 21

Flashback

7 years ago

Everlyn sat on the sofa, a mug of hot chocolate held in her hand and her eyes glued to the television. "May I?" I asked politely as I stood beside the couch. Everlyn glanced up at me, nodding tentatively as she lifted the cushion beside her and placed it on her lap.

Giving her a smile, I sat, a slight hiss escaping my lips from the little pain on my hip from today's encounter in school. I stared at the bright screen as we sat in the dark, my mind elsewhere.

We don't talk much, at least not anymore. I remember the times we would play together with our doll house and braid each other's hair when we were little. But not all relationships stay the same. Time changes relationships, just the way it did for us.

It all started in sixth grade, when I was promoted due to my exceptional scores in my tests, which is the reason to why we are both now studying in the same grade even from having a year gap.

I can spot the jealousy in her eyes from a mile away. I know she didn't like it when our father would praise me in front of a crowd. But I know for a fact that if I were in her place, I wouldn't feel the same way.

No matter how much Everlyn has tried to distance herself from me, my love for her hasn't changed the slightest bit. Because I know, deep inside, the little girl I used to know is still alive.

"Everlyn."

Everlyn hummed in response, not a single muscle moving in her body as she stared at the colorful screen. Biting my lip, I stared at my fingers with unease as I pondered on the decision I have come into consideration inside my head. "There is something I need to tell you. A secret, actually."

"What?" Everlyn asked rather audaciously, her watchful gaze still held onto the television.

Taking in a deep breath, I composed myself, fighting a battle on whether or not this was a good idea.

"Jace and I-" the moment the words left my mouth, her head snapped toward me, so harsh that it could have sprained a muscle in her neck. I paused on my words before deciding to speak again, "-have been in a relationship for almost a month now."

I studied the expression marring the features on her face. "What?" Everlyn asked, her back stiff as she blinked.

Tugging my hair behind my earlobe, I bit my lip as I nodded steadily. "I know I'm not supposed to tell you this but I cannot take it anymore. Katie knows, and I cannot stand the guilt of hiding it from you. You are my sister after all,"

I know I am not supposed to tell Everlyn. She is a cheerleader, making her an acquaintance of Diana, who foreseeably is the cheerleader captain.

Everlyn stared at me, not a word leaving her mouth. "We've thought of making it public once school ends, since we know that Diana wouldn't be happy with it and would try to make living harder for me. Now that there is only a week left, I thought it would best to let you know. I wanted you to find out before Everyone else did." I told her, smiling making it's way to my lips as I placed my hand on hers.

Her eyes fluttered, her body stiff with an unreadable expression evident on her face. "I don't know what to say. I totally wasn't expecting this to happen." She croaked.

I smiled, giving her hand a soft squeeze. "I wasn't expecting it either, but life is full of surprises, isn't it?"

Everlyn smiled hesitantly before vaguely nodding her head.

"Promise me, Everlyn. Promise that you won't tell a soul." I requested, agitation evident in my tone. Everlyn nodded again, taking a hold of my hand and intertwining our fingers together.

"I promise."

I sat on the couch, in Katie's new residance, a packet of cheetos in my hand, my jumper keeping me warm from the chilly weather.

Katie sat opposite to me, Sebastian on the arm chair beside us, munching in the cheetos from his very own packet.

"Not hungry?" I glanced up at Katie as she motioned toward the packet held in my hands. I forced a tiny smile before shaking my head and dropping the packet to my side.

"Tamara?" Looking up at her again, I held my gaze, downhearted.

"When are you going to speak with your father?" She urged, her eyes surveying through the emotions held in my face. Her query was answered as I sat silently, glancing down at my lap.

"I'm scared." I managed to choke out, blinking away the tears as I looked down.

"Hey." Katie called out as she stood from her seat and walked around to me before sitting beside me, her arm wrapping around my shoulder, rubbing it as she solaced. "Everything is going to be okay."

I shook my head in disagreement. "No it's not. Dad will never look me in the eye again and I don't think I'll ever be able to bare that pain. Ever since my behaviour changed around seven years ago, he's only been distancing himself from me and not once has he looked me in the eye with pride. I know I've lost him but I can't lose him completely, Katie."

Katie shook her head, peevishly, "You have done nothing wrong, you have your reasons. Your father isn't supposed to judge you so quickly, in the first place. Don't try to punish yourself when you are not at fault."

Closing my eyes and pursing my lips together, I leaned my back against the couch.  "Do you like him?" Katie asked. Slowly opening my eyes, I glanced at her, puzzled.

"What?"

"Shane. Do you like him?" She elucidated, her eyes boring into mine in curiosity. Sebastian glanced up at at the two of us before setting his gaze on me, crumbling the empty packet of cheetos and setting aside as he tried to grasp the situation.

"Do you like him, Tammy?" Katie asked again and I averted my gaze hastily.

"No, I don't like him," I said firmly before adjusting my posture as I sat, "I hate him."

"Are you sure about that?" Sebastian then questioned, giving me a look as thought he knew something that I didn't. My jaw clenched as I stared at him with unease.

"I'm sure."