Chapter 26

I gasped out loud before sitting straight on my bed and trying to heave my breath. I was drenched with sweat despite the temperature being low and a headache was starting to ooze into my head.

Wiping the sweat off my forehead with the back of my hand, I grabbed my phone and turned on the screen, its contrast glaring harshly.

3:04 am

Finding it hard to breathe, I plopped out of bed, my feet hitting the cold tiles.

Strolling out of my room with my hand on my messy hair, I entered the kitchen and switched on the lights.

I squinted my eyes at the immediate harshness of the light as I grabbed a glass before filling it with water.

I turned around at the sound of steps behind me. Shane walked toward the fridge with a pair of grey shorts, only sparing a short uncomfortable glance at me as he did so.

It has been three days since our last encounter and we have been trying to avoid each other ever since.

I leaned my back against the edge of the island, sipping the water as I stared at the floor.

"You okay?"

I looked up at him with my tired eyes, my complexion possibly seeming dull as I still struggled with the pace of my breath.

"I had a nightmare." I explained and he nodded, now holding a carton of orange juice and sipping it.

Raising my half emptied glass again, I drank the water before setting the glass back on the island.

"I'm sorry. About that day."

I looked up at him once again and he sets an unsteady smile as he observes my every action.

I shook my head before biting my lip anxiously. "No, I'm sorry. You were right,"

I watched him as his eyebrows to a small degree, surprised as he knew I was never one to apologize.

"And thanks for finding me and uhh bringing me home." I then expressed my gratitude as I took a step forward, hugging myself to keep me warm from the chilly weather.

Shane nodded as he ran his fingers through his messy hair, a little smile creeping onto his lips.

"Don't worry about it."

I nodded at him awkwardly before staring everywhere but at him. Being nice to Shane feels too foreign as I have always been used to being rude to him.

"Orange juice?" He then offered as he attempted to break the uncomfortable silence.

"No, thanks." I denied kindly, making him nod his head once again as he place the carton back into the refrigerator.

Shane looked at me, a lazy smile resting on his lips. "Good night, Cactus."

I was too exhausted to fight over his choice of calling me nicknames, so instead so instead I returned the smile. "Good night."

Shane then turned around, amending his way back to his room.

"Wait!" I called out as I trotted behind him.

Startled, Shane stopped and looked behind.

"Uhh, Is it uh I just wanted to, I just wanted to ask if its okay if I uh sleep next to you tonight?" I asked as I nervously scratched the back of my head. "I'm feeling a little disturbed."

There have been numerous times where not only have I had trouble sleeping but have also felt disturbed where sleeping alone felt suffocating, just like today. But this was the first time I ever asked for company.

When Shane turned around without a word, I shrunk in defeat and cursed under my breath at my impulsive act.

"Why do you have to embarass yourself by asking such a weird question?!" I hissed at myself.

"You coming?"

I looked up at him only to notice that he has been watching me in my little moment.

Mentally slapping myself, I smiled tightly and followed behind him.

Once we reached his room, he held the door open to his room, allowing me to enter in.

"Do you want me to sleep on the couch?" He then asked.

Pursing my lips together I stared into the space awkwardly. "No, um it's okay."

I walked to the left side of the bed and rested myself on it before grabbing an extra pillow and placing it beside me, using it as a barrier between the two of us.

Shane rolled his eyes as he stared at the pillow in the middle before laying down on his bed. I then turned around so my back was facing him and closed my eyes.

It felt like an eternity as I continued to move from left to right. Letting out a sigh I turned around once again.

It was too cold and the blanket wasn't helping me either.

I glanced at the digital clock sitting on the bed stand.

5:00 am

Shane was asleep with his back resting on the bed. I stared at the pillow between us and back at him, contemplating the thought inside my head.

Picking up the pillow, I placed it aside before closing the space between us. I slowly rested my head on his bare chest and I felt him immediately stiffen.

Oh sh*t.

The pace of my heartbeat quickened and I immediately closed my eyes shut.

A couple seconds later, his body relaxed. A large arm them softly wrapped around my waist, tugging me closer to him, the warmth radiating from his body comforting mine.

No words were exchanged as he brought his other hand to my head, softly tugging at my hair before brushing his fingers across it, sedately allowing me to bring myself into a deep slumber.