Late Night Talks(ch.28)

For a few seconds Sirius didn't answer your question. Instead, staring into the fireplace opposite you, watching the golden flames dance around the logs of oak. A comfortable silence settled between the two of you. The only noise coming from the crackling fire and both of your breaths, mainly Sirius' as his were shaky and frequent. Peering over at the boy on your left, he looked pale, as if he'd seen a ghost. You were starting to get worried, you'd never seen Sirius like this before, all distressed and overwhelmed.

"Sirius?" you said in a whisper, catching the raven haired boys attention, pulling him out of his thoughts.

"hm?" he hummed lazily

"I asked if you'd like to talk about..well..whatever it is that's wrong"

He scoffed shaking his head, not looking at you and back at the fire.

"You'd find it silly" he said, rocking himself back and fourth.

"No i wouldn't" you said shocked, a smile on your face"-but hey, whatever, if you don't want to talk about it, then i guess i'll leave then" you said jokingly, getting up to pretend to leave. However before you could manage to even move one step, he grabbed your hand gently, making your smile drop as you looked down at him.

"Please don't leave" He asked, sounding more like he was pleading you to stay than a question. Looking at his face full on, you noticed his eyes were puffy and red, as though he'd been crying. His eyebrows furrowed together in desperation, his lips tightly shut, like he was trying to stop them from trembling. For the first time in your life you had seen a side of Sirius, that you'd never seen before. A side that he barely showed to anyone, because he didn't want to believe it himself.

The side of him that was vulnerable.

He had the look in his eyes that you'd seen too many times, as you'd stare at yourself in the mirror. Alone. You didn't want him to ever feel that way.

"Don't worry, i'm not going anywhere" you softly smiled at him, seeing his face change at your statement. The worry in his eyes was replaced with relief and he smiled back at you, as you sat back down next to him, not letting go of his hand.

"Now, what's gotten you so worked up?"you asked cautiously, not wanting to say anything to invasive.

He sighed, looking down at his lap, before looking back up at the fire and then shutting his eyes.

"I had a nightmare" he said hesitantly, slowly squinting an eye open to see your reaction.

"What was the nightmare about" you asked curiously. He looked shocked that you'd asked him this. You thought you said something offensive so you were about apologise when he spoke before you,

"Wait a second-" he said looking at you genuinely "You don't think it's stupid?" he asked as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. You quietly laughed, shaking your head

"no, i do not think it's stupid Sirius. " you start smiling at him. He looked flabbergasted, staring at you mouth wide open,"Why would i think it's stupid?"

"-well, nightmares are for little kids..and we're not exactly little kids are we? I just mean people our age, aren't supposed to get nightmares"

"What? Of course they are, trust me, i've had my fair share of nightmares Sirius and it's completey normal. They're just our brains way of telling us things that we need to know. They can't hurt you, they're not real. Simply your mind trying to prepare you for the worst case scenarios, which most of the time aren't even accurate " you assured, looking back into silver eyes that were processing what you had just said and studying your face at the same time.