Chapitre 27: The Next Step

⚠️⚠️This chapter contains topics of illness, surgery, etc. If you find any of these things triggering please do not proceed with the story or read at your own risk⚠️⚠️

‼️DISCLAIMER: Again, I am not a doctor nor medical student or anything. I'm not an expert on the topics mentioned in this chapter, I am merely basing it off of my internet findings. Also I should mention that chemotherapy takes months but for the purpose of the story I will shorten the time. Just keep in mind that what you read may not be entirely true. ‼️

•••

Tsukishima has been in the hospital for a few weeks now. Undergoing treatments and chemotherapy drugs in order to help lower the cancer cell count and his tumors, it's also to help him prepare for surgery.

An example of the chemotherapy he was taking was gemcitabine (GEM), he was hooked onto a machine that would give him his weekly doses. After his first dose he spiked a fever, followed by fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite, weakness, hair thinning, difficulty sleeping, etc. Although side effects were temporary and they would fade away when he finishes the treatment, his appearance had changed a lot in these past few weeks.

The purpose of this drug was to slow and kill the cancer cells inside his body, but as we all know, chemotherapy is very strong in order to kill mutated cells which results in the deletion of other healthy cells.

He had many sleepless nights as his fever would suddenly spike. Tsukishima's family, Rosemary, and y/n took turns staying with him at night in order to make sure nothing severe happened.

But whenever y/n's turn came around she could never sleep. Even when she was at home she couldn't rest. Worry flooded her mind.

Tsukishima's appearance had changed so much, his hair was thinning, he was paler and paler every day, he was starting to look like skin and bones as his weight decreased. Although y/n wasn't going to stop loving him because of this, it hurts a lot to see someone you love look so ill.

He had been taking so many medications to help with the chemo side effects. Tsukishima was exhausted. Exhausted was probably an understatement but it was the only word he could repeat over and over in his head.

Maybe he underestimated this illness, but how could he expect exactly what was coming if he'd never been one to fall to diseases? You can't predict the future.

He did his best to stay positive but every day he saw how tired his loved ones were because of him, it ached in his heart. The last thing he ever wanted to be was a burden and that's exactly what was happening.

At least that's what he thought, his girlfriend didn't think of him as a burden though. No one did. Every time she felt down she tried her best to bring up her hopes. She hung onto Tsukishima's words for dear life, that he'd never leave her. She trusted him with all her heart.

She trusted the doctors that would be able to cure him and one day return her lover back to her.

She even tried selling her soul in order for the devil to cure Tsukishima. Did it work? Probably not, but she had convinced her poor mind that everything would be just peachy. She was starting to go insane. The only thing keeping her from losing her marbles was writing. She spent hours and hours writing poems about anything that came to mind.

Kenma was beginning to think that maybe she should see a therapist, it did take a toll on everyone's heart but y/n was manipulating her own mind to believe everything would be okay. That there was no other solution. And as much as everyone would like for that to be true, it's not good to surround yourself with lies or false hope.