Chapter 33

Smiling gently to myself, I lean against the doorway of the back door watching the twins run around the garden with bright smiles on their lips. Giggles echo around the air as Ryoku and Kōri play superheroes with one another in their hero costumes that Shoto and Momo had bought them the other week. Ryoku clad in his Dynamight costume, the little boy making explosion noises with his mouth as he lets a little fire out of his hand (not enough to hurt his brother). Kōri was clad in his Deku outfit, the boy giggling as he kicks and punches at the air as they battle their grandfather (Endeavor) who's being the villain in their little game.

With today being a rather warm day, I decided to let the twins burn off their energy outside while I got the barbecue working to make dinner for the twins and their parents. Then, unexpectedly, Enji Todoroki (Shoto's father) and Rei Todoroki (Shoto's mother) appeared at the front door wanting to spend time with their grandchildren and I couldn't exactly turn them away. So I let them in. Which brings me to the situation I'm in at the moment:

Enji playing with his grandsons, letting the boys chase him around the garden before jumping on his back to pin him down to the ground. Both of the twins jumping onto his chest with a bright giggle before snuggling into his warm chest and 'defeating' the villain that Endeavor was playing. Then, sitting on the porch with a pair of knitting needles and a ball of yarn, is Rei. The grandmother smiling to herself as she makes a scarf for the twins in their favourite hero patterns. Ryoku's scarf black, green and orange. Kōri's scarf white, green and red.

They're all so cute together! It's unbelievable.

Smiling gently to myself, I manage to turn on the barbecue and set a couple of burgers and sausages onto the grill as well as some chicken steaks. The therapeutic smell of charcoal wafting through the air as I take a deep breath and stand at the grill to make sure they cook properly. The twins then giggle and run toward me, wrapping their arms around each of my legs making me laugh and ruffle their hair. The smile on their lips mischievous as they look up at me with a sparkle in their eyes.

"What are you two up to, huh?" Rei coos softly, giggling toward the twins who look toward her innocently before hiding their faces in my legs, "Would you like me to make a salad, (Y/n)? Or some potatoes? I don't mind helping out,"

"Oh that's fine, Mrs Todoroki," I tell her softly, kneeling down to the boys height and checking over them quickly to make sure they're quirks haven't been overused before kissing their foreheads and smiling, "We've already made that, I got the boys to help me do it when we got back from school,"

"Yeah! I used a sharp knife!" Ryoku squeals excitedly, turning toward his grandmother who gasps out in happiness and claps her hands for him. The little five year old grinning from ear to ear, "I cut cucumber all by myself! (Y/n)'s the best teacher ever!"

"What did you do, Kōri?" Rei asks softly, the gorgeous white haired woman tucking a strand of hair behind her ear as she watches her grandsons, "Did you cut vegetables?"

"No, I boiled some potatoes," Kōri says with a small smile, giggling as Enji picks him up from behind and throws him up into the air. The little boy squeaking with laughter as Enji blows a raspberry onto his stomach, "Grandpa! That tickles! That tickles!"

"Is Hiro coming?" Ryoku asks looking toward Rei who smiles softly and sets her knitting equipment down, "Is he, grandma?"

"Not today, poppet," Rei hums, pulling Ryoku into her lap and kissing his cheek as he pouts to himself and crosses his arms over his chest with a whine, "He's got exams coming up so he has to focus on them, Auntie is helping him since Uncle Toya isn't very smart,"

While Ryoku giggles with his grandmother and Kōri is playing with his grandfather, I turn back toward the grill to check on the meat. Once I'm happy that one side has been cooking, I grab the pair of tongs from the side and immediately begin to flip them over onto their uncooked side. The sounds of the meat sizzling on the grill plays like music to my ears as I stand there with my hand on my hip and a pair of tongs in my other hand. It's almost homely to be in this sort of atmosphere. Having a barbecue on a hot summers day with family over... well, they're not my family per say but they treat me like I am practically family to them.