Part 22- A Fake World Filled With Worst-Case Scenarios

As we walked up to Toby’s front door, he let go of my hand to retrieve his key from his pocket. I was overthinking everything and just could not relax so each event seemed to take an eternity. ‘Despite everything that’s happened and everything Toby’s said, I can’t shake the idea this is a joke. What if I get pelted with water balloons again? What if I trip over something? What if I break something? What if Riley comes home and tells Toby about my obsession? Oh god…maybe Riley already told him!’ I began panicking in my head and felt like I was gonna pass out.

         “You okay?” I heard Toby ask so I quickly snapped out of my fake world filled with worst-case scenarios.

         “Yeah I’m fine.” I replied quickly.

         “Whatever you say, Ms. Uptight.” Toby mumbled as he went inside.

         “I’m not uptight.” I mumbled back as I followed him.

         Toby chuckled and shook his head which somewhat pissed me off.

         He closed the door behind me and took my hand in his once again, which I wished he hadn’t done. My hands were so sweaty due to nerves and I knew he noticed. I wondered if he cared because he didn’t let go, but then again maybe he just didn’t wanna be rude. I had no clue.

         He pulled me along with him and we headed over to the couch in the living room. Toby sat down and tugged me down beside him. He immediately put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me tight against him.

         “So Uptight, enjoying this?” He asked.

         Oh hell yes I was! But how was I supposed to tell Toby that? I was too awkward to say ‘Hell yes.’ so I frantically searched around in my mind for the right words to use, “Yeah I guess.” ‘Shit, wrong phrase.’

         “You guess?” He questioned.

         ‘Crap.’ “I mean…” was all I got out before Toby cut me off.

         “Relax, I’m just teasing you.”

         “Jerk.” I uttered, quietly. ‘Dammit! Did I just say that out loud?’

         “Excuse me?” He asked, acting as though he were taken aback by my little comment. I looked up at him but before I could say anything, I once again got stopped, “Would you calm down? I’m just being annoying.” I bit my lip and he continued, “Look, I’ve figured out a little more about who you are today; I realized you’re not a very forward person but you definitely have your own opinions that you like to get across. I also realized that you get nervous very easily and I want you to know I’m not trying to scare you. Okay?”

         I nodded and responded, “Okay.”

         “So I’d like to get to know you a little better,” stated Toby, “tell me something about yourself.”

         ‘What?! Why?! What do I tell him? Something I like to do? Do I try and impress him? Should I exaggerate something?’ “I dunno, I’m not very interesting.” ‘Well that was better than saying something stupid…never mind, it wasn’t really.’

         Toby chuckled slightly and said, “Well I know you like to skateboard because I’ve seen you struggle to fit it in your locker, tell me about that interest. When did you learn?”

         I mentally let out a sigh of relief due to Toby asking me a question where I didn’t have to fret over my answer. “I leaned 6 months ago when my parents finally got tired of my begging for a board and gave in.”

         We chatted about skateboards and the times we embarrassed ourselves by cause of falling off in front of people for around ten minutes until we ran short of stories. “Well I think I’m out of mortifying skateboard tales, how about you?” He asked me.

         “I am too.” I replied.

         He nodded and we sat there in silence for a minute until he came up with an idea, “How about we go for a walk? There’s this small pond not too far from here with a little gazebo and not many people know about it.”

         ‘Woah. Toby wants to take me to a secret-ish place?’ It warmed my heart to think he would actually tell me about this place so of course I said, “Ok.”

-------------

Ooooh, what do you think Toby has in store for this 'secret place'? :)

Thank you for reading!! Please comment/vote! :D