Part 33- Shy Phrases

"But you never ditch." I maintained.

         "Well it's not like we're gonna miss anything and we're ahead of everyone else in our work anyway. Also if you go back now, the teacher's gonna ask why you didn't come back with Celeste."

         I nodded in agreement, "That's all true." I said, "But how will we get our stuff without being questioned?"

         "Come with me." He advised as he stood up. I stood up as well and followed him to his locker. He opened it after removing his lock, tho he never locked it so I didn't know why he had one.

         It took me less than a second until I saw something familiar; he had my books at the bottom of it. "You snuck out with my stuff?"

         Toby nodded, "Yeah. Once I realized you didn't come back, I figured you weren't going to. So then I thought, 'Why not let loose a little and have some fun?' "

         He handed me my things and began putting his books into his backpack. I examined the inside of his locker and it was pretty much what I had expected: He had a couple textbooks, a binder, a sweater, and a pair of sunglasses. Then on his door he had a mirror and a few pictures of him and his brothers.

         Once he had packed his backpack, we headed to my locker and I got everything crammed into my bag. I decided to leave my skateboard and take the bus tomorrow morning.

         "So," began Toby once we got outside, "is this gonna be our second date?"

         'Woah.' My heart began to flutter. I wanted to say yes but, 'Would it make me sound too forward?'

         "I...uh..." I stuttered.

         Then Toby stopped walking and I stopped with him. "How about this" he began, "will you go on a second date with me?"

         I was going through every possible reply that could stumble out of my mouth. But I wasn't aware of how long I had hesitated until he chuckled, "So I make you speechless, huh?"

         I felt my cheeks heat up and I tried to cover my oddness, "I...no...I just...crap." If you can't tell, I failed.

         Toby chuckled again, shook his head, and continued walking.

         After a minute or so, I felt Toby's hand slowly grasp mine as he intertwined our fingers. His hands were so damn soft. Tho I had not expected him to say what he did next; I mean...was it planned? Did he know it would lead to the following conversation? Or maybe it just escaped from his lips, as did most of my shy phrases.

         "I like holding your hand." He blurted out.

         I didn't even get a chance to think about what to say when a word slipped out without my consent, "Why?" I immediately despised having a mouth that didn't cooperate with my mind.