Part 24- Ungentlemanly

I know this is annoying but would you mind checking out my new book- 'Bad Boys and Violence'? The second chapter is up and I'm really happy with it :) Thank you

------------------------------

        About a minute later, Toby returned holding something. He walked to the entry of the gazebo and stopped to let me examine the situation. I immediately noticed the item in his hands; ‘A guitar? But…why?’ He held a straight face with no expression whatsoever and had the instrument in his right hand.

         He walked into the structure and sat down to my left without a word from either of us. He put the guitar strap around his neck and strummed a few chords. Then he played about 5 notes of a song before I recognized it, ‘Oh no, please no. Any song but this one.’

         He soon began softly, “You got holes in your jeans and a few in your heart. You don’t know what it means to me to watch you fall apart.”

         My hands made their way to cover my mouth and I felt a lump forming in my throat. My eyes got blurry with tears as my breathing changed to a more rapid pace. ‘Don’t cry, just don’t.’ Soldier made me cry every time I heard it tho I loved the song so much. I couldn’t let Toby see me crying but there was no way I could hold it back the entire time.

         “I’ll be your soldier, na na na na na.” As he sang the last lyrics, a tear slid out of the corner of my eye and down my cheek. I had done so well to not cry until then but I just couldn’t hold it in any longer.

         Toby let the last note fade away and waited for a few seconds before saying anything. This was the first time he had looked at me since he stood in the doorway. I removed my hands from my face to reveal my bright red cheeks, nose, and eyes, which caused a wide smile to appear on his face.

         “I’m guessing you liked it?” asked Toby, still smiling.

         I nodded, “That was incredible.”

         “That’s what I was hoping for.” He told me, “Remember when I said I had to text someone? Well I texted my brother to bring me my guitar.”

         ‘CONNOR! THAT’S WHO’S VOICE I HEARD!!’

         “I figured you were still a little skeptical about me so I thought I’d try to do something kinda sweet to maybe, like, relax you a little. So, did it work?”

         “Definitely.” I replied to him as a huge smile creped up onto my lips. Man, did I feel happier than ever!

         Toby removed the guitar from his lap and placed it on the bench beside him. He then moved closer to me and wrapped his arms around my torso. He…hugged me. It was so quick I didn’t have time to hug him back but regardless, it still left a hypnotizing effect on me. Damn McDonough…

         He leaned back and just smiled at me for a bit before standing up, grabbing the guitar, and heading out of the gazebo. Shortly after Toby returned to his seat, I heard the vehicle tires compressing the rocks into the gravel road as it drove away.

         “I know this is probably a lot to take in all at once,” he began, “I mean, you likely never thought I’D ask you out but…”

         ‘And there goes the gentlemanliness with one, short phrase from his unfiltered yap. Dammit McDonough! Why’d you have to go and ruin the moment? Sure it wasn’t much, but saying, ‘you likely never thought I’D ask you out’ is a pretty douchy thing to say. Like yeah, it’s true, but he didn’t have to say it. Now let’s see if he can make up for it with whatever he’s about to say.’

         “I thought I’d give it a shot and see how things went.”

         ‘Nope. Didn’t work.’

         “You seem to be enjoying this so I’m pretty sure it’s mission accomplished.”

         ‘You’re making it worse.’

         “But I also wanted to show you I’m not a COMPLETE ass.”

         ‘My turn to actually talk rather than just think, here goes…’ “Well you’re not a COMPLETE ass, but you’re still an ass.” I told Toby.

         He grinned, obviously not understanding that I was being serious.

---------------------------

Toby! Tat was so sweet! But why did you have to go and ruin it?

Do you think Toby would make a good boyfriend for Rowan?

Please vote/comment! Thank youuuu!! :)