Part 30- He's The Cop Who Plays A Robber

I breathed a mental sigh of relief but everyone was staring at me, including Mr. Thompson. ‘Shit.’ I was aware most of the class had seen Toby and I at one point or another during our little spat but Mr. Thompson was probably wondering once again why I wasn’t earlier to class.

         I walked to my seat and just as I sat down, I saw Toby walking towards his seat. I unintentionally made eye contact with the teacher and he gave me a look, I knew I was gonna have to have another little chat with him.

         After all the morning announcements came the moment I had expected plus a little more, “Rowan and Toby, may I talk to you both?”

         ‘What? Why Toby? Did Mr. Thompson hear what happened?’ I felt Toby look at me but I didn’t look back at him. We both hesitantly walked out into the hall, followed by our teacher.

         He shut the door behind himself and just looked back and forth from me to Toby a couple times. I felt like I was going to die from anxiety but Toby just stood there with an expressionless face, acting as though he didn’t care.

         “Mr. McDonough,” he began slowly, “what’s going on here?” He asked, gesturing to both of us. I looked up at Toby and his mouth was slightly open. I assumed he was a little shocked Mr. Thompson would ask that. After all, I WAS the only student who knew how attentive he was to situations and how much more he really knew than people anticipated.

         “N-nothing really.” Toby stammered.

         I felt like I should’ve been a bit hurt by that but there was no point in being upset at the time.

         “Hmm,” He paused and pretended to be thinking by looking like he was staring off into space for a short moment before speaking again, “I didn’t think lying to teachers was ideal, do you?” He asked Toby.

         “Uh, no.” he stuttered again.

         Mr. Thompson cocked his head to one side, “Then why did you do it?”

         Toby looked at his hands and began playing with his fingers, “Sorry.” He said quietly and he was obviously uneasy.

         ‘There’s no way this kid is a bad boy; he’s the cop who plays a robber. Usually that doesn’t work and the guy seems like he’s trying too hard, but somehow Toby makes it work.’ Then I realized something, ‘How does Mr. Thompson know Toby’s lying? Did he witness what happened earlier? Is it because we both got to class at the same time? Maybe he just knows…’

         “You’re probably wondering how I know you’re lying.” He spoke.

         ‘Maybe he can read minds…that’s possible right?’

         Then he began again, “Toby, when you’re asking a girl on a date, I suggest you don’t do it next to an open, classroom window when there’s someone inside.”

         Toby’s eyes bulged out of his face and his cheeks turned bright red as his mouth dropped open a little. I looked at the floor to avoid having to look Mr. Thompson in the eyes.

         “But anyway, my point. Rowan is a very good student by virtue of her intellect, sense of humor, and logical way of thinking. She has also been very good with not being late to class and not having any troubles in class. And I know this is actually none of my business, but now that there is something going on between you two, I don’t want you screwing up my best student Mr. McDonough, got it?”

         “Got it.” Toby replied nervously.

         I honestly had no idea what to think or feel. I mean, what would you do if a teacher told the guy you had gone on a date with to treat you right? That’s not just something that happens every day!!

---------------------------

Do you think Toby is really a good guy or is he just putting on an act to cover up his act?

Comment/vote! Thank you so much!!!