Part 9- Blackmail

“She’s got a heart like California and a…”

         As soon as I heard my alarm on my phone go off, I smacked the snooze button as quickly as my tired arm would let me. I couldn’t let Riley hear it; the fact I was waking up to the sound of his voice.

         I just laid there, thinking about how that day was gonna go, ‘Will Toby talk to me in English? If so, what will he say? Certainly not sorry. Maybe I could just avoid all the guys completely, yeah, I’ll do that.’ Whenever I plan to avoid someone, it always fails and I end up running into them more.

         The 9 minutes went by quickly and Heart Like California started to play again. I turned off the alarm instead of pressing snooze 2 more times. I always had my alarm set for 6:43am so I could press snooze 3 times and it would be 7:10am. That way I’d have a bit to wake up before I actually had to get up, but today I had too much on my mind to just lay there.

         I decided to get dressed and watch a few YouTube videos before going downstairs for breakfast. I chose a sky blue t-shirt, black, skinny jeans, the same black bracelets as yesterday, my ring, a silver necklace with a blue, heart gem on it, a blue and black Snapback that read, ‘No Worries’, and blue and black, Nike high tops. After I finished getting dressed, I set an alarm for 7:20am and began watching YouTube videos.

         No matter what video I watched, I couldn’t get my mind off everything that was upsetting me. I couldn’t stand the overwhelming thoughts and bad feelings so I closed my laptop. I reached my hand under my mattress until I felt it and carefully pulled it out. I gripped the small blade tightly as I dragged it across my wrist. I cringed in pain and repeated the action 3 more times for a total of 4 cuts. I was careful to make them shallow so as not to bleed everywhere. I wiped off the blood that had seeped out and tossed the Kleenex in the garbage.

         Eventually my phone started to play Rude by Magic so I shut off the alarm, unplugged the charger, and shoved it in my pocket. I then grabbed my headphones, my sketchbook, a few pencils, and headed downstairs. My lazy-ass brother and his lazy-ass friend never got up before ten at the earliest; they may have been awake, but they didn’t move.

         I threw my stuff in my backpack, packed a lunch, and then had a bowl of cereal for breakfast. I quickly finished and went back upstairs to brush my teeth and fix my hair. Once that was done, I opened the bathroom door and something to the right caught my eye…my open…bedroom…door…

         I rushed over to it only to stop immediately. I froze at what I saw- my door was wide open and there were two, 19-year-old boys in only their boxers looking at EVERYTHING.

         I wanted to just run away rather than kicking them out but what would either of those things do? They had already seen too much.

         I watched Riley stand on my bed to look at all the posters on my ceiling and Eric picked up my BYE necklace. After a short time, Riley turned around to jump off my bed and he saw me.

         ‘I’m fucked.’

         He slowly jumped down and walked towards me. I wanted to let my eyes wander over his perfect body, but I kept them locked on his face. He stopped about a foot away and leaned against the doorframe. I felt the same as I did yesterday when Mr. Thompson asked to speak with me; terrified.

         “You know Rowan…” he paused.

         ‘WHAT?! WHAT DO I KNOW?!’ I screamed in my head.

         He was trying to make me more nervous by adding suspense to his words and it was working, “this is very creepy.”

         I wanted to say ‘I know’ but nothing came out.

         Riley folded his arms, making his biceps flex, and smiled devilishly, “Well now I have some very valuable information about you, like the fact you have a crush on my little brother.”

         ‘WELL WHAT THE HELL DO I SAY NOW?!’ “No I don’t.” I said even tho I knew very well he didn’t believe me.

         “Oh please!” He exclaimed, “You’ve got a bunch of drawings of Toby and typography that says you love him.” I felt my face get very hot, very quickly. “Now, you wouldn’t want this information to get out would you?”

         I looked at my feet and replied almost silently, “No.”

         “Then how about you do whatever me or your brother say from now on.” Said Riley with a smirk.

         “Wait,” I said, lifting my head, “how many people are gonna believe your best friend’s sister is in love with your brother?”

         “I dunno,” he answered, his lips still holding that smirk.

         ‘Why the hell do he and his brother both have perfect smirks? Like seriously?’

         Then Eric showed up behind him, “That’s why we have pictures.” He stated, holding up his phone, which had a photo of a drawing I did of Toby on it.

         “Fuck.” I swore under my breath.

         “No need for bad words missy.” Said Riley, “So are you gonna do what we say?”

         “Fine.” I said, pissed off, “Now get out of my room.”

         They both walked back into Eric’s room. I locked my bedroom door and ran downstairs due to that inconvenience making me late. I already missed the bus so I had to walk, which wasn’t too bad.

-----------------------

Do you think Riley will tell anyone?

1 comment for the next update. Please please comeent