Part 37- Flirting With A Demon

"Why have I never noticed you before?" I almost jumped out of my skin when a body leaned against the locker beside mine. I was in the process of retrieving my things for second period but was interrupted by a handsome son-of-a-bitch.

         I knew things about him but nothing about his personality- like his name was Dimano. He flashed a smile of perfect pearly-whites as he ran a hand through his carefully styled hair. It was messy, yet you could tell it had gel in it to cause the bedhead-look. His sapphire eyes felt as though they were cutting through me like blue-tinted diamonds and the piercing gaze certainly assisted with the uneasy feeling I was getting from him. His tight, grey tank top outlined every muscle in his chest and abdomen and his biceps were free in the open. High maintenance hair, high maintenance name, high maintenance body, high maintenance man.

         I had finished switching books so I pretended to still have things to do in my locker to avoid having to look directly at him. "I don't know, guess you didn't look hard enough." 'Didn't look hard enough? What kind of reply is that?!'

         He chuckled in a low tone that sent a chill though me. There was nothing wrong with this guy, but I didn't like the vibe he gave off; it was unnerving...almost scary.

         I pulled a pencil out of a pocket in my bag and with the sweaty, nervous hands I so easily get, I dropped it. "Let me get that." He offered but I obviously had to butt in.

         "No, that's fine." Just as I took a hold of the precious, blue pencil, he attempted to as well...only he grabbed my hand instead. I looked up to be eye to piercing blue eye with Dimano. He didn't let go or look away and neither did I as we both straightened ourselves up. A gentle grin spread across his lips and I gulped, not sure of what to think. I liked the feeling of his large, warm hand encompassing mine and the innocent grin which comforted me. Yet his eyes said something different that unsettled me- a demon-ish look in them.

         "I'm Dimano by the way," he said in a deep voice, "but you can call me Di." I gulped hard, unable to speak. He released my hand and I withdrew quickly, turning away from him to close and lock my locker. I looked away from him but he stayed focused on me. "What's your name?"

         But before I could answer, I was violently jerked away by someone. "What the fuck you asshole?!" yelled Dimano as I was dragged down the hall by a seemingly pissed-off Toby. I was grateful for him saving my life from Demon-o but I was also slightly mad that he was touching me. I thought he wanted me to screw off?

         We entered the English room, him still pulling me along. We reached our seats and both sat down, him facing me and me facing the front. 'Don't talk to him, Rowan, you're trying to prove a point: that you're a boss.' I refused to even glance at him even though it was killing me inside. I should've thanked him but I couldn't give him satisfaction, not yet.

         "Look, I know I was a dick to you on Thursday and it wasn't okay but we can deal with that later, please talk to me." I just stared at my apparently interesting binder covered with sharpie sketches and doodles. I heard him sigh before feeling a poke in my left arm. "Hey," he started, but I still kept my focus. Then he did it again- he poked my arm and repeated, "Hey," I finally gave in and looked over to him. He had a small smile on his face. "You look good today."

         'Well that's quite a topic change.' "Thanks." I mimicked his smile and he seemed content with my reaction.

         The bell then rang just as Mr. Thompson walked in. "Can we talk at lunch?"

         I nodded and replied calmly, "Sure." but in my mind I was anything but calm.

————————————————-

I actually updated on time! Oh mah gawd! But it's a PD day today so I'm hoping to get some writing done😁😁😁

So what do you hope happens between Rowan and Toby? I wanna know your thoughts!

Please vote/comment and thank you so so much!!