☾ nine ☾

'Wait, why am I even hiding?'

I was in the middle of questioning my own behavior when I heard my father speak again.

"The sword exists not to shed blood, but to protect what is precious. But it seems you want to go against that judgment."

My father's stern voice sounded so harsh that it almost unconsciously made me flinch.

However, the young man, whom the scolding was directed towards, remained unfazed.

"Rather than go against it, I simply feel there's no need to create such a weakness."

The moment I heard him speak about weakness, I automatically gave a bitter smile.

'Because I had many weaknesses and was lacking a lot as a person...No one needed me.'

In the past, my father had forsaken me and Mikhail, my fiance, abandoned me.

I'm no longer upset about what happened...it's just that my former self was pathetic and pitiful back then.

I let out a deep sigh.

"Sometimes people tend to become even stronger in order to protect their weakness."

I wonder what weakness my father has that he wants to protect?

Status and honor? Or maybe it's his men that he holds so dearly.

After all, he had always valued and took his work seriously.

'I don't know what my father's weakness is, but whatever it is, I'm sure he'll be fine. Unlike me...'

The man's piercing voice broke me out of my bitter thoughts.

"Teacher."

'Did he say teacher? I never heard anything about my father having an apprentice.'

Shocked by the new revelation, I poked my head out slightly to take another look.

"I do not want to listen to any more of your preachings. I'll be taking my leave now."

The way the man spoke was so dry and without warmth that it made my father look affectionate in comparison.

'To think he'd surpass my father in that aspect...'

I frowned while continuing to observe the two figures.

"One day you'll find one too. A precious existence that you'll want to protect."

My father opened his mouth to speak once more.

His voice sounded hard, yet affectionate at the same time.

Never having it directed towards me, it was an unfamiliar tone.

'There's nothing for me to be upset about. I already drew a line.'

I have a long life ahead of me.

I didn't want to get hurt and shaken over something like this.

'I shouldn't be swayed by something like this.'

As long as I had decided to give up on receiving my father's love, I told myself I wouldn't get hurt by anything that he would say to me.

He meant nothing to me anymore.

I firmly strengthened my resolve as if I were burning a wound.

Then, I heard my father's apprentice speak in a chilling tone.