☾ fifty - four ☾

My father's words struck me dumb.

'You said you'd cut the steak, right?'

His eyes looked like they were shaking but they weren't directed at me.

I looked to where my father's eyes were and realized something.

'Oh, is that it?'

My father was staring at Max.

Maybe my father wanted to make up with him.

He was supposed to care for him more than his own daughter.

'Would it be better to help them reconciliate?'

As for me, I also liked the idea of my father and Max being in a good relationship.

Because of him, my father might give up on the idea of my orderly marriage with the Crown Prince for the disciple that he loves.

"Yes, then please."

When I gladly handed over the plate, my father cut the meat and opened his mouth.

"The outside and inside are very different."

Is it medium rare? It looks quite ripe on the surface, but the flesh on the inside was certainly reddish.

'But I think it's cooked enough.'

I was salivating at the sight of the juices flowing out of the meat without much thought. 

My father continued, "You'd better always be careful. If it is not cooked right you will see blood."

There are times when undercooked meat comes out bloody.

In such a case, there were times when I was vigilant when cutting the meat, and then my stomach would get spoiled because too much blood would leak out.

'Well, it's okay as long as you cook it again.'

At the time when I was being indifferent, Father handed me the plate.

"Take it."

"Thank you."

When I took the plate and handed it over to Max, I tried to see if he was trying to thank my father or not.

"Juvellian."

But the timing was bad.

I had no choice but to turn my head when father called my name.

"Yes?"

He spoke, reaching out to me, "Give me your plate, too."

In a moment, the inside of my chest shook slightly, but soon sank.

'It probably seemed strange to him that he did his own disciple's, but not his daughter's.'

Unlike my inner feeling, a little joyful voice ran out of my mouth.

"Thank you."

Yes, because this is so Max and my father can reconcile.

So I was swollen with hope.

But after a while, I had no choice but to sigh.

'I don't see any signs of reconciliation.'

My father even cut the meat with his own hand, but the two never spoke to each other.

'When I see you sometimes look at each other, it doesn't seem like the two of you have heart...'

Then, my father stared at me and said, "A little later, let's drink some tea together."

At those words, I realized something and laughed.

Because I realized that it was just an excuse, and in fact, it was Max, not me, who he wanted to have tea with.

'Really...You seem to care a lot for Max.'

While staring at Max for a while, I asked him.

"Is that okay?"

He stared at me and slowly nodded.

He must have wanted to make peace with my father because he kept on looking at him.

'You'll finally make up.'

If the relationship between the two gets better, my relationship will be recognized, and my engagement with the Crown Prince may be canceled.

If that happens, I'll pretend to go out with the Max until he's done with me.

As I was dozing, I spoke with joy as I imagined a hopeful future.

"Then let's drink the tea we made together today."