☾ twenty - seven ☾

Max felt his sour mood ebb away the moment he saw her, and when she told him that she had been home, he felt himself relax.

And the moment he saw her face, he felt his face heat up.

'Huh...did I catch a cold?'

Ever since he had begun his swordsmanship training, he had never gotten even the slightest bit sick.

He was convinced he was currently feeling this way because he had been busily going around looking into the people around Juvellian.

'She might look down on me.'

Afraid that she would notice his current state, Max hurriedly diverted his gaze from the woman's face and spoke.

"I understand, now hurry up and tell me."

She hesitated for a moment before finally confessing, "The truth is...there's a malicious rumor going around about me."

Max clenched his fists.

'So, she found out in the end.'

Thinking that she may be feeling hurt, Max scanned her warily.

"But to be honest, something like that isn't what's really bothering me."

If it had been any other noble lady, they would've felt a great sense of shame and embarrassment, yet there didn't seem to be a single trace of them on this woman's face.

"Why?"

"I'm not ashamed of a secret relationship because I've never been in such a thing. It's just..."

"It's just...?"

Juvellian smiled bitterly.

"It's just...it seems that's the reason why everyone who sent a partner request ran away."

Max unknowingly clenched his fists even tighter.

'Those fools, I don't understand why they're being swayed by such rumors. If it were me, I wouldn't even pay attention to such senseless rum...'

Max became startled by the thought he just had.

'What did I...'

As he was seized by a sense of shame, Juvellian's clear voice brought him back to his senses.

"Of course, that's not what made me upset. Truthfully, I'm fine even if I don't have a partner."

Max let out a sigh before retorting sharply, "What the hell are you upset about then?"

At the sight of the woman's eyes which rapidly lost their shine, Max instantly recalled the tone he had just used.

'Did I come off too strongly?'

Normally, it was a thought that would never cross his mind.

But, as the woman opened her mouth to speak, Max pushed his remorse aside to listen to what she had to say.

"The problem...is that I saw my father's list of prospective marriage candidates for me."

Prospective marriage.

The moment he heard the unexpected words, Max felt his head become numb.

"A prospective marriage list?"

"Yes, it was even marked, as if it was going to be pushed ahead regardless of my opinion. Not to mention, it also seemed to be a list made up only of men from decent families."

Max clenched his jaw and thought of his mentor.

'To think you're going to push your daughter into a marriage of convenience...'