☾ thirteen ☾

"It's quiet."

Without its owner, the Duke's residence was no different from easy prey to Max.

There was not a single being that noticed him jump over the wall, pass through the garden, and head towards the main building.

Surveying the outside of the building, Max's eyes landed on a balcony with a large window.

'That must be it.'

Max moved stealthily towards his objective, climbing the jutting structure and landing on the third floor balcony.

'Is it locked?'

Though skeptical, he gave a little push against the transparent glass doors.

The doors easily opened, allowing the lace curtains behind them to flutter.

He silently snorted.

'To be this defenseless–I have no words.'

Stepping into the dark room, Max could vaguely make out the figure of a woman lying in her bed.

He approached the bed with silent footsteps.

'Looks weak.'

He thought she would resemble his teacher, but it seemed that wasn't the case.

Unlike Regis, who was firm and had a tall stature, this woman was thin and delicate.

'She obviously looks like she won't be able to learn any sword fighting so I don't think he is thinking about making her his successor...'

Max couldn't understand his teacher at all.

'Why is he so obsessed with this useless thing?'

He only held those thoughts for a brief moment before raising one side of his mouth into a crooked grin.

'If this thing were to disappear....how would that man react?'

Even in the dark, Max was able to catch a glimpse of the woman's slender neck.

It was thin to the point where it looked like it would snap easily even if squeezed with just a little bit of strength.

His eyes were scrutinizing the figure of the woman in the dark when a sudden voice shattered the quietness.

"I don't know who you are, but I believe you've come to the wrong house."

Max became startled as he heard a woman's voice which, despite the situation, sounded awfully calm.

'She was awake?'

How do normal people usually react when they come across an intruder?

They typically screamed instinctively, fought back because they didn't want to die or trembled in fear while begging for their life.

"This is the residence of the Duke of Floyen."

'What's with this woman?'

Max creased his brows, experiencing an unfamiliar feeling for the first time.

He had seen plenty of people before, all of which bowed their heads before him – wanting to please him.

Of course, there were a couple who were insolent, but none were as carefree as this woman.

'Does she have someone backing her?'

Someone like Duke Floyen would undoubtedly be a solid backer, but Max knew his teacher was absent at the moment.