☾ twenty - eight ☾

I had been secretly worried when he had left without a word that day, so it was a relief I was able to see him again and give the money I had put aside for him.

It felt like I was able to take a big burden off my shoulder.

'Now I don't have to worry about whether or not my father's apprentice is starving for the time being.'

The most upsetting thing in my previous life as a poor student had been that I hadn't been able to eat proper meals because I didn't have enough money.

Perhaps that's why I didn't want to see the people around me starving.

Or maybe it was because, after taking care of him for a few days, he slightly grew on me.

The thought of my father's apprentice possibly starving himself made me feel uncomfortable.

'Well, it should be okay since I gave it to him under the pretext of a favor–so it shouldn't feel like a burden to him.'

As a noble, I would never have a reason to ask a commoner for help, but I didn't want him to think I was pitying him either.

'Now I need to take care of my own problems.'

First, there was something I needed to take care of before asking Geraldine if he could be my partner to the party.

'How should I make Rydian eat shit?'

The cuff buttons I had purchased were made of blue diamonds, a rare precious metal, and due to the preference of nobles who didn't like wearing the same designs as others, its design was the only one in the world.

However, because there had been no one going around wearing those cuffs, it was inevitable that the rumors circulated even more strangely.

'It'd all be solved if there was something to serve as grounds to refute those rumors...'

I also couldn't deny that it was embarrassing because I had no evidence to prove that there was no lover.

While I was having those troubling thoughts, an idea suddenly occurred to me.

'Oh, that's right. That might work!'

It wasn't guaranteed that my plan would work, but I had nothing to lose.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for me to at least give it a try.

I called for Marilyn and told her, "When my father returns, tell him that I have something to tell him and that I'd like to see him for a moment."

_

Was it because he had made an effort not to waste time?

By the time Regis returned to the mansion, the sun had yet to go down.

Since dinner was usually a little after seven o'clock, there was still quite a bit of time left till then.

'Fortunately, I'm not late.'

Regis felt relieved that he made it back in time to be able to have dinner with his daughter.

He handed his overcoat to Derrick.

"The standards for the marriage proposal list are too low. Rewrite it."

Derrick sighed at his master's remark.

'They were already picked from a selection of distinguished young lords, I don't think there will be much left to choose from...'

But in contrast to his inner turmoil, Derrick responded professionally.