☾ twenty - three ☾

First, I needed to calm myself.

If I showed even the slightest hint of being flustered, my father would take that opportunity to coax me into going on the blind date.

'At times like this, I have to look calm and respond.'

Collecting myself, acting as if I didn't know anything, I spoke coolly, "Ah, I'm still thinking about it."

My father stared at me.

I felt a little uncomfortable by his gaze, which seemed like it was analyzing me.

It was uncomfortable to the point where it made me lose my appetite.

But instead of being shaken up, I added casually, "There were a couple who sent me letters asking to be my partner, so I've been contemplating over the past few days on who to go with. They're all very distinguished so it's hard to choose."

"I see." My father calmly said after looking at me for a moment.

I breathed a sigh of relief–without my father knowing of course–when I heard the sound of his knife rattling, signalling that he returned to cutting his steak.

'Nice, was that a successful defense?'

It had been a continuous series of confusing and tense moments with my father so far, but the fact that he didn't bring up the matchmaking was enough to call it a success.

'I should go up and look over the letters after I finish eating.'

Wanting to solve the current problem quickly, I began inhaling whatever was in front of me in an effort to try and return to my room as soon as possible.

"Juvelian."

I became nervous and sucked in my breath as I heard my father call my name.

I was worried that he was going to bring up the talk about the marriage proposal now.

"Yes?"

His gaze was so fierce that, for a moment, I thought he was going to tell me to start seeing the Crown Prince immediately.

I unknowingly swallowed in nervousness.

Then, defying all my expectations, my father simply placed a piece of the juicy steak he had just cut onto my plate.

'Why a steak all of a sudden...?'

Normally, I would have refused, but there was just one minor problem.

'Oh...it's meat.'

Having been stuck with my father's apprentice the past few days, it had been a while since I had proper meat.

All of the meals I had been asking for were things that could be eaten with my hands.

I didn't want to raise any suspicion from my maids by asking for two sets of tableware.

As a result, I was really craving some meat.

But it wouldn't be good to remain here for too long — that would only increase the risk of my father bringing up the topic that I so desperately wanted to avoid.

'Euuhh, I have to hold it in but...'

The delicious smell of the juicy steak wafted into my nose and made my mouth water.

'...That would definitely melt in my mouth, right?'

I was agonizing over whether to eat the steak or not when I was interrupted by my father's voice.