☾ ten ☾

Mrs. Ferris, who sensed her master's worry, carefully spoke.

"Your Grace, though we have mobilized all the servants, we have not yet been able to catch the rat."

Closing his eyes, Regis heightened his senses.

He could feel every servant's presence as well as the presence of his daughter who was in her room.

He could feel all life inside the mansion, but the presence of a little beast that was the symbol of filth, he could not.

Regis opened his eyes and let out a sigh.

'There's no rat in the house so of course they're unable to catch one.'

Unaware of her master's inner thoughts, the housekeeper grumbled as if in complaint.

"It's not just the maids, Lady Juvellian also feels uneasy so we cannot just ignore the matter."

Regis flinched.

'She's feeling uneasy?'

"Call for Derrick."

The butler arrived shortly after the housekeeper was sent after him.

"Master, you've called for me?"

The Duke, who looked deep in thought, spoke.

"Derrick."

"Yes?"

"I need your advice on something."

Derrick's eyes widened as he grasped the serious tone of his master's voice.

'He needs advice...?'

His master had never asked for advice before.

The Duke was the type to always settle things himself.

Derrick suddenly became nervous; he had no idea what it could possibly be about.

"Where do rats usually live?"

Derrick wasn't sure if he heard his master correctly.

He stared at Regis with trembling eyes before responding.

"I'm sorry? Rats?"

When he heard Derrick's stiff voice, Regis let out a sigh.

"Never mind. It was a slip of tongue. How is the list of potential marriage candidates for Juvellian coming along?"

Derrick was worried that the heavy workload was causing his master to act strange, but threw the worry away when the Duke corrected himself.

"Ahh, yes, we are looking at all young nobles from reputable families, as well as considering their looks, wealth, and social reputation. The list should be finalized by the end of today."

"I see."

Fortunately, it seemed the duke was in a good mood.

Derrick breathed an inward sigh of relief before reporting what he always hesitated to mention.

"Also...Sir Mikhail has sent another letter."

The moment the name 'Mikhail' was heard, the Duke's eyes changed drastically.

"What did it say?"

He spoke in a slow, thin voice.

Derrick felt his knees tremble even though he wasn't Mikhail himself.

"As always, he's been pressuring for a reply. He believes that Lady Juvellian is simply acting in order to get his interest."

"I see."