☾ sixteen ☾

"Why do you keep on spouting nonsense?"

I had tried to come off as nice as possible but this man had responded derisively as always.

'Always so cranky. What is he so displeased about?'

Discontent aside, I realized something else.

'Come to think of it, he was kicked out yesterday and had probably skipped dinner. He's probably starving by now.'

I felt a little sorry for him.

It would also explain his behavior.

'Being hungry on top of having no place to go...that would make anyone more sensitive than usual.'

Pitying him a bit, I spoke to him softly,

"Let's eat brunch together later."

He stared at me with a hardened face.

"What?"

Hearing the sound of a knock, I closed the closet door before responding.

"Our chef is pretty skilled, you can look forward to it."

_

'You want to eat together?'

Max sat obediently in the closet, an odd look on his face as he pondered over Juvellian's words.

'Wait, why do I even have to do this?'

A sudden feeling of doubt arose, bringing him to his senses.

He felt a surge of anger.

'Should I just break down this door and get out of here?'

Then, he felt the presence of someone coming closer.

The sound of uniform footsteps told him it was the maid from earlier.

Frankly, he was annoyed to the point where he wanted to just ignore her orders but the image of Juvellian's face, asking to have a meal together, stopped him.

'Fine. I'll wait for a little longer.'

It may not have been a big deal to others, but for Max, it was the first time he had decided to be patient.

He was someone who had never once restrained himself before.

"Milady, I've brought the medicine and your meal."

"Marilyn, wait. Could you come over here and help apply the medicine on my back?"

"Of course."

He had thought he'd be able to get out of this stuffy closet soon, but it seemed the woman was dragging it out.

Max ground his molars, his patience running thin.

'She said it would only take a moment, so what is she doing right now?'

He clenched his fists, seriously contemplating whether to break down the door.

< Let's eat brunch together later. >

He paused.

Strangely enough, he kept recalling her smiling face, preventing him from carrying out his idea.

'Why am I...'

Looking back on his actions, there were more than one or two things that he could not understand.

The fact that he hadn't even thought about leaving until the woman brought up the topic herself.

The fact that he felt a strange itch in his chest when she suggested they eat together.