Chapter four: Unlikely friends

"The one thing we don't get enough of is love; and the only thing we don't give enough of is love."
-Henry Miller

Daily inspiration:

Don't let others put you down

It has to get worse before it gets better

•DM's open for use, if you want to talk•

|WARNING: this chapter contains child abuse, if you have any problems with this subject, please skip ahead|

If you are experiencing child abuse, don't be afraid to tell an adult or call the police. It is a serious offense and you do not deserve to be treated so poorly.

***

*This past summer*

Valencia had been locked in her room for days.

During the summer when she was most alone, she wanted to speak to no one apart from Cassandra and Gavin. In which both she was not allowed to see or communicate with while at home. Her mother strictly had forbidden it. 

Of course, when she could or when her mother was out and about in London, she'd sneak a few letters explaining the situation she was made to be in. It was extremely hard to make time and plan it out, but she always sent at least three when it was possible.

Most of the time, they'd answer, trying to comfort her through letter, but it wasn't as easy. It all depended on when the letters they had initially sent would arrive. She'd hoped that they'd arrive when her mom was gone, but there was always that risk, that chance, that her mother would find it before she could hide them.

This was one of those times.

"Open the door Valencia, I will not ask you again" her voice rang behind the door, and it made the girl's back tense up, making her recoil back to the edge of her bed.

"No"

"Open it now" there was a loud bang on the wood and she flinched against the sound. "Before I decide to break it down." There was a stone tone in her voice, and it was evident that she was not in any way joking.

"Go away, I haven't done anything to you! I only wish to speak to my friends mother, why can't you accept that?" she cried out, grappling her legs close to her chest. Her heart was hammering harshly, so rough, that she feared it would pound out. "Why can't you accept that I have friends? Why don't you want me to be happy?" 

Before she could even figure out a way to escape the argument, the door was busted down. The wood shattering across the floor, most definitely leaving strays that she would step on accidentally during the night.

Her mother shared a look with her, a look of pure disgust. Then, without a warning, she moved forward, heading toward Valencia at full speed, anger balancing itself off her skin with radiance. "Don't act so stupid, Val" she grabbed her chin to force her up to look at her, "as if you don't know."

"I-I don't! I'm always nice to you, I take care of you, I only wish to do one thing for myself and you act like this!"