Chapter six: Comfort

"Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."

-Terry Pratchett

INSPIRATION:

Be you, don't let anybody tell you not to be.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

If you need help, contact me for support or text through the suicide hotline :)

***

The next few days after the accident were the worst. Valencia's body ached constantly, and her ego had risen but for the cost of her happiness. She felt sad with herself as she never truly wanted to hurt Gavin, but nevertheless for her own selfishness, she did. That, that was sick, she was disgusted with her actions.

The absolute most dreadful thing that came from this all- she hadn't spoken to him since the duel, too afraid he'd despise her for what she had done to him. So, she avoided her friends, the only one still talking to her and in fact clinging to her, was Severus. He comforted her when she needed it, he made sure to attempt to keep her mind closed off from any thoughts of Gavin.

In this attempt, he spoke to her about his own problems. Most regarding his undying love for the one, the only- Lily Potter, but of course he had other issues he didn't let show. He was constantly talking about how he was scared for his grades, how if he didn't manage to keep them up he'd face punishment from not only his family but also his peers.

"Do not worry so much Sev, everything will work out in the end, trust me" she nudged his arm gently and he glanced up at her, finally taking in the vulnerable state she seemed to be in. Her hair was a bit messier than usual, her typical tidy bun was now having rogue locks in the back. Her eyes had bags under them, and she seemed so tired, exhausted actually. Her green eyes still held a bit of joy but she seemed so ashamed all the time, a new weight on her shoulders.

"Oh Val, you look... beautiful as always, but how long has it been since you've slept?" his voice was laced with concern as he swung an arm around her playfully.

She tried not to look the boy in the eyes, as she knew what was to come, "days."

"What do you mean days?" he sounded angry as expected, his black locks falling to the side as his gaze tightened and so did his grip on her small figure.

She snapped her vision to his directly now, unable to suppress the anguish she was feeling internally for any longer. Her eyes held remorse and sympathy like someone she truly loved had died a gruesome death just before her. Which deep inside wasn't far from how she felt, "I mean, Severus, that I haven't been able to sleep since that stupid duel, it's all that's been on my mind, he's all that I can think about. Do you know how bloody horrible that is?"

He watched her begin to break before him and he sighed heavily, watching her with the best expression he could muster seeming as the situation they were in was in fact nothing besides delicate. "Look at me Valencia" he took ahold of her chin and forced her to stare back at him, "he did something wrong too, okay? it is not like you are the only one who gave their all, he drew blood first."