Chapter thirty- four: Understanding

"Just like the day that I met you
The day I thought forever
Said that you love me
But that'll last for never
It's cold outside
Like when you walked out my life
Why you walked out my life?"
-Heartbreak Anniversary, Giveon

***

Tom shifted himself in his seat in potions, his curls falling over his forehead as his eyes scanned across the room. His partner was unfortunately across the room, seeming as she had sat by her friends in the beginning of the year, that meant he was restricted from talking to her anyway. Which much to his dismay, made his head throb with anticipation for the day to end.

This damned witch had sewn herself so deeply into his head that he couldn't even pay attention to what Slughorn was saying in the front of the classroom. All he could hear was his loud squeaky voice rambling on about something Riddle was sure to already know. He was undoubtedly one of the most intelligent teenagers there, and he was far ahead any of them in lessons.

So he watched her instead, the quill she had just freshly dipped in her ink pot hanging between her lips. Her gaze fixated on the front of the room as Ollivander continued to attempt to talk to her. He had noticed from weeks of staring endlessly, that she was just as captivated as he was when it came to learning. It was almost impossible to get her attention when she was listening to the professor.

His fists clenched beneath the table as he saw him lean closer into her ear, whispering something that made her lips tug into a small grin. She took the quill out from between her lips and laid it on the desk, turning her head swiftly toward the boy next to her. They seemed to be talking about something awfully funny, as a small laugh left her throat.

"What's so fucking funny"

Tom sighed rubbing his temples with his thumbs, he looked away from the pair not wanting to see the acts of affection between the two. He supposed he had to cut her some sort of slack since she had a naturally flirtatious personality, but his patience was growing thin. Thin was a word too kind for what he would describe it, but he didn't have another word for it.

"Mr. Riddle, are you feeling alright?" Professor Slughorn questioned walking toward his desk, his lips pulled down into a distasteful frown. If it weren't for the obliviousness the fool had, the wizard wouldn't even bother being nice to him. However, he was supposed to be polite to anyone and everyone, for the time being anyway.

"Just peachy," he replied hiding the fury behind his smile, his charm slipping off and dripping into the atmosphere. He had no doubt that his lie had slid off so truthfully that his professor wouldn't question him again. Which he was right, Slughorn raised his eyebrows but ignored him nevertheless, turning back around to continue teaching his nonsense.

He went back to his thoughts, twirling his wand between his middle and ring finger, not getting caught one. He had been doing this absentmindedly for months now, and he was becoming a professional at it. No longer did it drop when he did it too hastily or sloppily, it stayed in its place, and didn't misplace itself once.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He felt someone intrude his mind, and he felt curious for a moment before realizing who it was almost immediately. He only allowed his mind open for one person, and he trusted her enough to know she'd never go through his memories without his consent.