Chapter thirty-one: Communication

"In your eyes, there's a heavy blue
One to love and one to lose
Sweet divine, a heavy truth
Water or wine, don't make me choose
I wanna feel the way that we did that summer night, night
Drunk on a feeling, alone with the stars in the sky"
-Wolves, Selena Gomez

***

Tom Riddle did in fact return that night, infuriated with the fact that he couldn't find the diadem in his short time away. He had originally declared that he would stay the night in the forest, but without the extra help it felt impossible to stay safely. He didn't wish to be attacked like Valencia was that ungodly night.

He had a million things going on at once- he had a... a.. a woman who finally had managed to make her way into his heart, and he couldn't for the life of him get her out of his head. The replay of their night together was constantly going through his head, making him see stars when he tried desperately to focus on something else.

He had a missing diadem that he had yet to find, and he had been searching for Merlin knows how long he had been doing it. He could've sworn he had it all mapped out, that he knew exactly where it was. Yet, when he went to go look for it, his coordinates didn't match up with the scenery.

He had an acolyte who refused to speak to him, do anything for him, and stayed in his bedroom, not wanting to look him or Valencia in the eyes. If it were not for the deal Tom had made, he would've discarded him by now, and he desired to get rid of him so badly.

He had completely forgotten about what the whole purpose of the ball was for that night, and now he was facing the consequences. He hadn't talked to any of the guests besides one family, who refused his help when offered it. He needed supporters in order to make his fantasy happen, and he got absolutely nowhere.

Then finally, he was becoming more distant with the task at hand, but of course it didn't abandon his mind totally. He still had visions of his inevitable future, where he'd stand tall and mighty over the mounds of dead bodies- of the people who dared to defy him.

Or dared to defy her.

Valencia stirred in her sleep and she felt the boy behind move closely, she tried to go back to sleep, but she had noticed how he was wide awake, seeming to be unable to let the darkness envelope him as it typically did. Something was plaguing his mind and despite her tiredness she was determined to find out what.

"You okay?" she asked feeling the hand on her side move up and down her skin, stroking gently, like he was touching fine diamond silk that could be broken of harshly spoken or talked to. He had been extra tender toward her since he came back from his trip, but it was not always like this.

When he had come back from whoever he was all day, he was enraged, he looked for things to throw around, to break. He was made for destruction after all, it didn't surprise her when he tried to tear the whole room apart. It did surprise him however when she had attempted to calm him down, used her warm touch to her advantage yet again.

He didn't mind much this time though as it led to where they were then- both naked in his bed, for the second night in a row. His fingers tingled where their skins made contact, and his heart felt a bit lighter at the sighs she was making. He couldn't deny the fact that every sound that escaped her did something to him. It made him weak.