Chapter twenty-four: Hatred

"Want to keep Christ in Christmas? Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, forgive the guilty, welcome the unwanted, care for the ill, love your enemies, and do unto others as you would have done unto you."
-Steven Maraboli

***

She wasn't speaking to him.

Tom had spent the rest of the night in his bedroom thinking about what she was occupied doing. Perhaps she was reading one of the very books she had in that library. Perhaps she was developing a plan to get Riddle back for what he said just a bit before. His mind was racing about potential things she could be doing that had made her late to breakfast the next morning.

Maybe she had taken a hot shower

His foot tapped impatiently against the floor as he thought about the previous lonesome nights he had. He was undoubtedly becoming anxious without her presence, he didn't know how far he could take it before she decided it was too much. Valencia is immensely calm, until pushed to be otherwise, and he had pushed her that way.

He felt obligated to tell her an apology, but he decided against it. He had paced outside of her bedroom for what seemed to be hours until he finally went back to his room. Tom never apologized for anything, whether it was wrong or not, he did not care. Her words had offended him, and even though they were painfully true, he was still sour.

Yet, he couldn't think help but to think to himself that maybe he should've gone to her room late last night and said the thing he so desperately hated. Truth be told, Tom wished he could do the right thing from time to time, but his selfishness would consume him into a pit of darkness once more.

Footsteps approached the door, his luggage in his hand was gripped tightly and his knuckles began to turn white from the squeezing pressure he was giving. His black curls were loosely done up, but charming none the less. His smirk was plastered across his lips fighting back the urge to frown once he saw that her eye bags were not ceasing, but instead growing more intense.

Valencia said nothing as she held her bag firmly in her grasp and he stared her up and down to analyze her appearance. Her hair was tied up into a loose bun, just a few of her angelic blonde hairs managing to come out. Her lips had a fine shade of pink over them, most likely the work of her lipstick. Then he saw the shade of red across her cheeks, her porcelain skin was tainted the tiniest bit.

She looked innocent as she avoided his stare, and instead she moved around him, intentionally not touching or brushing his arm in the action of doing so. He stood for a moment, back turned to the girl as she opened the door up carefully, so quietly he almost didn't hear her do so. If it wasn't for the small gust of wind and instant temperature change, he most likely wouldn't have.

Tom sighed before pulling himself together and grabbing his and her coat off the rack, his hand instantly handing it out. She didn't spare him a single glance as she took it sweetly out of his grip. Her eyes seemed colder than the night before, and he realized just how bad he had messed up. She was furious, disgusted, no doubt wishing she hadn't agreed to accompany him then.

He wouldn't admit to her ever, nor to himself, but did in fact enjoy her company, more than he should. He had invited her initially to discover what she was made of, but as he got closer to her closed off being, he found it easier to be in her presence more than anyone else's. She was a safe haven from his repulsive bloodthirsty actions.